The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Tub-a-geddon  (Read 2766 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Tub-a-geddon
« on: March 16, 2012, 07:51:25 AM »
Well my tub has been at the "local backyard body shop guy" since December of last year. The work was supposed to have been done in a month but he just wasn't happening. I was finally so fed up yesterday I went over and repossessed it. �So now, instead of a completed tub, I have a hacked up mess sitting back in the driveway. Note to self: Be more thorough in checking references before selecting a body guy.

"Jim my New Body Guy" (references checked) is supposedly coming over this afternoon, utility trailer in tow. I'm very anxious to see if the hack job on my tub was helpful or hurtful. I'm trying to remain optimistic that what was cut out was actually done correctly and just part of the "it is has to get worse before it gets better" thing. Either way, he'll load it up and drag it down to his shop where it will likely reside for the next couple months.

In the meantime, I have pulled my steering box apart for the third time to chase leaks that I should have fixed the first time. New bushings and oil seals just arrived from Walcks so hopefully the third time is the charm. I have also removed and reinstalled the transfer case again hoping to stop another leak there. I'll give it another running test this weekend to see if it still leaks. I hope not. That TC gets heavier every time. I guess that is the one upside to not having the body ready. I'm bored and can spend hours chasing minor problems that otherwise I would probably pass over.

And in the spirit of getting ahead of myself, I just received a new serial number tag that I ordered off ebay from a guy in Poland (yes, the one in Europe) of all places. I started with my original dash and serial# plates and was inspired by a forum post to try and repaint them. It was a failed effort and I pretty much destroyed them both in the process. I ordered a new dash tag from KW and was very unhappy with it. The font was wrong, and the whole look and feel was cheap. The serial # tag I got from Poland is really well done. The font is correct and the letters are raised instead of just a crummy screen print job like the KW one (nothing against KW, of course, they just supply them). I even had him engrave my correct serial # on it and it looks great. I'm certainly no purist and have cut a million corners on this project but something about that cheap repro dash tag just didn't sit right. I'll be much happier with this one, especially if I have a body to attach it to at some point. If anyone is interested you can find his stuff on ebay or PM me and I'll send you his contact info. His stuff isn't cheap and it took about 6 weeks before I received it but IMHO it was worth the wait.








Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline p3ferris

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 249
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Tub-a-geddon
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 08:54:08 AM »
I see what you are going through.  I did my own but not body off.  I cut 2 corners also..hat channels to be done later and floor panned.  The thing is that I have a friend that does body work...specialty  type.  He has had a mustang body in his shop..92 I believe.. for about 3 years now.  He works on it every day.  Still it is far from done.  He is a perfectionists, it will not leave his shop untill every 1/2 inch is gone through.  It will be better than factory.  He goes through great pains as not to warp the body or stress it at any point.  By the time he gets it done it will have cost about $15,000 for the body work.  His welds are small and perfect.  I learned a lot by watching him over the years.  I can do the same welds as he and yes it is time consumeing but when one is done it takes a see through amount of body puddy to clean it up and almost no grind.  I have never had to grind. It is a feather touch and  patience that is required.  I do not go through the detail he does.  I see he made  good cuts and some of the welding is very good, but I did not like the riveted part on the side.  maybe that was not his.  Riveting is a rush rush job to me.   I did this on my floor to be redone later.  The new guy may do it faster and you will not have to wait so long for your tub.  Let us know how it turns out.

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Tub-a-geddon
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 09:51:06 AM »
I would suggest replacing the complete floor riser, also take out the toolbox and fix what is underneath it , then reinstall the repaired toolbox.....Your guy appears to have done zero bracing to keep the tub square and true, so you may need to bring your frame in to the new guy to make sure everything lines up. Also just let him have the tub , if he needs a fender or tailgate to line things up, bring them over when he needs them.

Sometimes replacing an entire panel is far better than patching what you have, especially on flat panels like the wheelhouses. That cut out section of the (edited) BACK floor will come back to bite ya, it is not an easy piece to weld in and not see later. It is also unusual to see bad rot there.. Why was it removed?

The new patched in back right corner piece is not shaped correctly...Hopefully your new guy is good with a hammer and dolly.

It's not hopeless but I think you made the right move with the reposession.

You also need to give the tub a good drenching with metal prep or some conversion coating to minimize additional rusting before it gets painted.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:13:23 AM by F_Bill »
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline Jesse

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 298
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Tub-a-geddon
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 01:50:57 PM »
Yikes, that looks pretty hack. I can't really talk though, we used an original cowl and added in the rest of the tub with the new stainless. The whole thing got built on a flat table. It worked, but I would be surprised if the tub was still "standard" dimensions.

You could look at classic enterprises for that back floor section, could be cheaper than patching the cut one.

Otherwise good job getting that tag done, it looks really nice! We stamped our own numbers on a repro, and it screams "Stolen"  ::)

-Jesse
Its a jeep thing, but you would understand if you have ever lost your wallet.

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Tub-a-geddon
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 08:13:31 PM »
Quote
That cut out section of the (edited) BACK floor will come back to bite ya, it is not an easy piece to weld in and not see later. It is also unusual to see bad rot there.. Why was it removed?



Not sure why but this section was one of only a couple spots that I originally noticed were completely rotted through. I'm sure there's a reason for it but I haven't a clue what it is. Yes, this thing is pretty hacked up but luckily my goal is not to have a museum quality Jeep. I'm irritated that there is now blatantly avoidable damage but if there are some spots when I'm done that "aren't quite right" I'm OK with it. This is a good trial run for possible future projects. As long as I can drive it I'll be OK  :D
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline 3aJeeper

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 143
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Luvs me a flatfender Jeep!
    • View Profile
Re: Tub-a-geddon
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 08:41:38 AM »
Ryan - nice to see someone else has the same approach that I'm take i.e., I'm not creating a 'show quality' jeep, just something cool to knock around in. Mine will end up being a franken-jeep and is well on the way with a PO putting in a F-134 sometime in its past.

Will keep watching for updates on the body work.
1951 CJ3a
F-134 Hurricane engine