The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: 15" wheel option?  (Read 2522 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
15" wheel option?
« on: February 27, 2012, 01:25:32 PM »
Hi guys, I thought I read somewhere that 3As could have optional 15" wheels. Reason why I'm asking is my '53 has 15" KH wheels and when I sandblasted them, I could see the original campus red color (everything else was that color) and pin strips. I believe they are originals. Are they indeed an option?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 01:26:09 PM by garage_gnome »
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: 15" wheel option?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 11:04:43 PM »
15" wheels were an option on the CJ3A.

 I believe originals are fairly rare.  I have 15s on mine, but they are not CJ wheels.  I think they were from a Jeepster.   Dated 1955 and they have the hub cap lips.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline calvinhunt

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1000
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Let's keep these great American icons alive!
    • View Profile
Re: 15" wheel option?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 11:52:49 PM »
My 1949 CJ-3A was purchased new with 15 inch wheels. �They are shown as Part Number 642053 on page 94 of the Parts List manual for Jeep Models CJ-2A and CJ-3A Copyright 1949. �Bob W's book, THE CIVILIAN JEEP MODEL CJ3A also shows pics of both the standard 600 x 16 and the optional 700 x 15 wheels on page 26. �They are indeed an option.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 11:54:04 PM by calvinhunt »
Calvin
Santa Clara, Utah

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: 15" wheel option?
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 09:51:46 PM »
Ok, thanks guys. I thought they were.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: 15" wheel option?
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:46:14 PM »
The 15" wheel option used 7.00 x 15" tires. These tires were the same height as the standard 6.00 x 16" tires so the speedometer gear and axle ratios would work out the same. The 7.00 x 15" tires are wider and therefore provide more flotation than the 6.00 x 16"s.
Bob W

Offline Jesse

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 298
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: 15" wheel option?
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 11:29:26 AM »
Whoops, should not have sold my set of 3 a few years ago. (for thirty bucks) ::)

-Jesse
Its a jeep thing, but you would understand if you have ever lost your wallet.