The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: 3A windshield vent  (Read 7045 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Macgraham

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 187
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
3A windshield vent
« on: January 24, 2012, 01:53:10 PM »
I have a CJ3A but the windshield does not have the vent. The outline is there but it is not cut out. I am planning to cut it out and use a 3A vent door, spring and handle. any suggestions?

Offline bretto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 486
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • OD 3A cousin
    • View Profile
Re: 3A windshield vent
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 01:56:57 PM »
Just fold down the windshield.  Sorry I couldn't resist.
Brett Orem, UT� [size=14]PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD[/size][/URL]

Offline Macgraham

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 187
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: 3A windshield vent
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 02:00:57 PM »
You talked me into it, I'm tired of body work anyway.

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: 3A windshield vent
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 02:24:53 PM »
Do you have a photo of your windshield?
Bob W

Offline Gunslinger

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 942
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Re: 3A windshield vent
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 06:41:41 PM »
It might be an M38 Windshield, just guessing
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline Matto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 361
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: 3A windshield vent
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 07:51:58 PM »
The M38 windshields have the vent panel in them but they were bolted shut with two straps over the exterior. I have a couple extra panels with handles I picked up at a swap meet. Send a PM if you need one and I'll send you a picture.
Matt
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 07:52:26 PM by Matto »
1949 CJ3A project,1954 CJ3B weekend driver,2012 JK Rubicon DD and weekend trail rig,2016 Ford F350 for dragging cool stuff home :)

Offline calvinhunt

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1000
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Let's keep these great American icons alive!
    • View Profile
Re: 3A windshield vent
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 01:07:28 AM »
Quote
I have a CJ3A but the windshield does not have the vent. The outline is there but it is not cut out. I am planning to cut it out and use a 3A vent door, spring and handle. any suggestions?
I have never seen a 3A windshield without the vent having been cut out.  I wouldn't mind have one like that.  I have never opened mine since the restoration project was completed more than three years ago.  However, I drive it only in the summer and do not have a top.  I don't need the vent.
Calvin
Santa Clara, Utah

Offline bretto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 486
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • OD 3A cousin
    • View Profile
Re: 3A windshield vent
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 08:57:43 AM »
I bet it is a repro frame.  
Brett Orem, UT� [size=14]PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD[/size][/URL]

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: 3A windshield vent
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 09:07:36 AM »
There is another possibility, however it's very unlikely  ;)
Bob W

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: 3A windshield vent
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 10:45:26 AM »
Okay Bill,
You threw out a tease.  What is another possibility?

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: 3A windshield vent
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 10:50:51 AM »
Quote
Okay Bill,
You threw out a tease. �What is another possibility?

Tim

I didn't say nuttin'.......Who's on First!
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: 3A windshield vent
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 01:47:01 PM »
Come on!!  I hate to beg, but I gots to know!

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: 3A windshield vent
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 04:08:21 PM »
The six pilot model M-38s did not have the center punched out.
Bob W

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: 3A windshield vent
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 04:39:09 PM »
Wow.  Now that would be one special windshield frame.  I would also like to see a photo.

Thanks Bill.
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: 3A windshield vent
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 06:15:33 PM »
Quote
Wow. �Now that would be one special windshield frame. �I would also like to see a photo.

Thanks Bill.

Much as I would like to take credit.....that's BOB!
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.