The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: 6V to 12v Fuel Sending Unit?  (Read 1339 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Kendog

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 21
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
6V to 12v Fuel Sending Unit?
« on: December 01, 2011, 09:38:11 AM »
Next up is figuring out how to make my fuel gauge work. The truck had been converted to 12V by the PO, with the fuel unit not working, likely due to the voltage upgrade.

Presuming it's a 6V gauge, what 'step-down' resistor is used in-line to make it work? Or is it simply smarter to replace the sending unit and gauge with a 12V universal? NAPA was not sure what to specify/recommend.

Thank you, Ken

Offline aboyandhisdog

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 760
  • Karma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: 6V to 12v Fuel Sending Unit?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 11:41:03 AM »
I was faced with this also some time ago.  Everyone I spoke with told me that the system voltage makes no difference at all with the fuel gauge or sending unit.  The important factor to consider is that the Ohms rating of both components is within the same range so as to be compatible with one another.  You might find that the bulb in the gauge would need to be correct for your voltage, however.  I'm sure that others here can give you more information but this is what I was told.
Tom