The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Leaking Transmission  (Read 2990 times)

Offline Gunslinger

• Flatfender Master
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Leaking Transmission
« on: October 06, 2011, 09:58:09 PM »
Gents
I've got my motor out for a rebuild so I thought I'd fix a couple leaks while I'm at it.  My transmission has been dropping oil for about a year now, so I dropped it out tonight to see if I could fix it.  The puddles on the floor were about the size of your hand; every day a new one.  Checked the fluid level tonight and its below the lower shaft.  It looks like the seal between the tranny and the transfer case is the culprit, all the bolts are tight and the gaskets were new at the rebuild 18 months ago.  Any suggestions as to how I can get that seal to be leak free?

Todd
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline Carls_jeep

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
Re: Leaking Transmission
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 12:12:59 AM »
I don't remember a seal between the two cases but there is a gasket. If I remember correctly there were three different thickness gaskets in the set. I can't remember which one I used or why but I do remember there was a reason to use the right one.

Perhaps the case surfaces are not flat and need to be draw filed to remove any high spots.

Offline Gunslinger

• Flatfender Master
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 09:08:51 AM »
Carl,
I've had a lot of luck on these old machines with RTV sealant between oil holding parts, is there any reason why I can't take the gasket out and just use RTV.  In some cases the gasket is used to adjust head space or end play, would that be the case on the transmission/ transfer case joint?
Todd

Offline Tumbleweed

• Flatfender Master
  • 49 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 10:14:43 AM »
One of the things I noticed on my transmission/transfer case was that there are a few bolts that were leaking fluid. I thought it was a seal as well but later determined that I needed to use thread sealer around the bols to keep them from leaking. I have also used " The Right Stuff" sealant and works very well on engine oil pan,  transmission pan applications.

A buudy of mine always told me that a drip pan was your best friend. Heck I still have one under my 53 wagon. I am amazed that sometimes there is only a little drop and other days there is an area the size of your hand.

49 CJ3A - "Smokey"
53 Willys Wagon - "Wylie"

Offline Frank

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 12:17:45 PM »
The Right stuff silicon,

Yep that stuff is great, a little spendy but well worth it, its the only way to go, the only draw back to the stuff is that if you have to open it back up, the covers , housing can be glued on so tight, is difficult to get it apart,

But they have got that stuff dialed in, you can apply it with accuracy with little or no excess pretty cool stuff,

Offline Gunslinger

• Flatfender Master
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 12:18:28 PM »
It sounds like a guy should get used to a certain amount of leakage, How often do you guys check the fluid level in your tranny and T-case and how much leakage are you comfortable with?

Offline Frank

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 03:44:27 PM »
It sounds like a guy should get used to a certain amount of leakage, How often do you guys check the fluid level in your tranny and T-case and how much leakage are you comfortable with?

Sure, one drop of oil spreads out into a huge spot on a concrete floor, I seen a Redneck Joke that said something to the effect that if it is bigger than your rig itself, then you have a problem,

I am Okay with my nasty old dump truck that leaks about a quart every 2 years out the PTO,

Offline Carls_jeep

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 09:49:33 AM »
Todd, as best I can remember I put the two cases together without a gasket with a couple of bolts lightly holding them together and measured the space between the two. Then I picked the gasket that was slightly thicker than the gap and used it.

Since I have only had one T90 apart I am not an authority. I would suggest calling Walcks or Novak and ask about it. Since they put three different thickness gaskets in the kit I would think it is important to use the right one. If it needs a gasket because there is a gap and you put RTV on and bolt it up you may crack one or both cases.

Offline Gunslinger

• Flatfender Master
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 11:20:40 AM »
Thanks guys,
I talked to the guy that originally built it for me, I'm taking it to him on monday for a look see.  After looking around this site and the 2A, I'm a little concerned that I'll mess up the roller bearings in the tranny then I got a big problem. even if it costs me a couple bucks to have him snoop around I think its a safer bet.  One nice thing about getting older, you do eventually figure out what your good at and what your not so good at.
Todd

Offline Carls_jeep

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 04:06:58 PM »
Ain't that the truth.  ;D  When I was younger I jumped in with both feet and hands. Now I look real good before I leap and sometimes I don't leap.

Offline Gunslinger

• Flatfender Master
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 05:07:52 PM »
Here's an update on the leaking tranny, I took it back to the old school guy that built it so he could offer some advice.  He took about 28 seconds and said that it was missing two cups on the back of the shift column where the sliders are.  Apparently the sliders grab some oil and it acts like a hydraulic ram and forces it past the seals.  He told me to install two cup style frost plugs, one in each slider channel and all would be ok.  It seems like too simple of an answer but I'll give it a try and see what comes of it. Keep you posted.

Offline Doug

• Flatfender Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 10:20:58 PM »
Have not been on here in months guys. � I offer my two cents. �The two cups you talk about might stop a tiny bit of leaking from the shifter, but not the tranny.

My tranny leaked from the input shaft like crazy. � Replaced the felt seal twice, even doubled up on them one time and it kept leaking like a sieve. � Then I looked inside my tranny. �I noticed in comparing to engineer drawings that there were two different engineered drawings. One willys drawings shows an oil slinger washer, similar to those in the differentials, at the input shaft. �The other willys drawings does not show it. �I took my tranny apart enough to install the oil slinger, returned the felt seals back to factory, put it together and my input shaft has not leaked a drop of oil in four years. � The oil slinger was keeping 99% of the oil �off the felt seal. �Then only 1% gets on the felt seal, just enough to keep it lubricated. �I think a lot of trannys are missing the oil slinger washer at the input shaft. �Try that. �

For leaks at the sealing joints between the transfer case and tranny, it is important to have them planed flat before mating. �Over the years they get warped from overtightening the bolts. � Hope that helps. �Doug.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 10:21:32 PM by DougP »