The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Front axles  (Read 13506 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline TomJ

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 72
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • '51 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Front axles
« on: July 20, 2011, 10:40:21 AM »
Here's one that seems common sense to me but I'm still not sure about it.  When I pulled the front axles apart on the '51 3A I'm redoing the Bendix universals, upper and lower king-pins were all packed in grease. Now I've read on other posts that those king-pins get lubricant from the spray coming off the universals, my question is, should those universals be packed in grease or lubricated with some sort of gear oil? The thing that made me suspicious at first was the filler plug on the housing, but everything was coated/packed so it all looked like it was protected.

Thanks guys
Tom

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Front axles
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 11:21:25 AM »
My front spindle universals are running in tranny oil, 85-90wt EP oil. So far they haven't leaked much if any. My newly rebuilt tranny leaks more than the front axle and the tranny just leaves a few spots on the garage floor.

Offline macrisel

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 639
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Always in the middle of a project
    • View Profile
Re: Front axles
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 11:49:15 AM »
Tom,
You might check out this thread from the old forum on the steering knuckles.  It has some very good discussion about what type of fluid to use:

http://cj3apage.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Tech&action=display&thread=1418

Basically, there are three main options:

-Make your own "knuckle pudding" out of grease and oil
-Use modern CV joint lube
-Use some of the specialty oils/lube available from Penrite or Novaks
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/steering_knuckle_repair.htm
(Has anyone used this from Novak's?  I have thinking of buying some but would like to talk with someone that has used it)

From experience, I can tell you to NOT use 80/90 wt gear oil.  Been there, done that and cleaned up the mess left on my garage floor and on my newly painted parts!

Offline aboyandhisdog

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 760
  • Karma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Front axles
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 01:18:25 PM »
I found 2 products that might not be too hard to find.

1)  I ordered semi-liquid grease from Restoration Supply and received "Lubriplate #1500"  I would think that any Lubriplate dealer could order this in for you.

2)  I was visiting my local Toro dealer and needed a product for the gearbox on my snowblower.  They had "Alco Super Lube 00 Grease"  which is also a semi-liquid grease.  I believe it was about $7 for the quart.


For what it's worth, I made up a batch of "knuckle puddin'" for my steering gear some time back.  It was a real mess getting it into that small hole.  I looked in there last month and all I could see was the oil on the top.  If I had to guess (and that's pretty much all I do) I'd say that it has separated.

Mark provides a good link to the old forum above, check it out.
Tom


Offline RussellL

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 64
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Front axles
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 02:36:18 PM »
You can be almost guarateed that the gear oil will get into your front brakes eventually.  It will come out along the axle to the hub and then work its way back through the bearings and seals to get into the brakes.  My brother found that out the hard way and it didn't take very long.  New brake shoes ruined.  

Offline TomJ

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 72
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • '51 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Front axles
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 04:22:29 PM »
As usual you guys are great.  Checked out the links and the comments on what seems to work and what doesn't.  The tips on the semi-liquid grease seems to make alot of sense.  I've already repacked and reassembled them but haven't put the hubs on so I can change things if I need to.  I have to say that it didn't look like the axles had been touched in a long time (judging by the shape of the gear oil in the pumpkin) and the knuckles looked to be practically new with all the old grease still there. So I guess my thinking is that even if you go with just packing the housing with grease you still provide a good deal of protection.  I think I'll fill the rest of the housing with semi-liquid to complement the grease already in there and maybe pull them apart in a few years and see how they hold up.

Tom

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Front axles
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 04:30:04 PM »
My front axle apears to be loaded with grease also. I don't know what it is. �The consistency is a bit soupy compared to regular grease, but not as loose as a 50/50 mixture of grease and gear oil. �It's about the consistency of brake grease I guess. �No leaks, and if memory serves, the balls got some lube before I took this thing apart.

If anyone has the Novak product, I would like to know how thick it is.

Tim �
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 10:45:35 PM by athawk11 »
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Front axles
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 07:45:15 PM »
If the oil leaks out of the steering knuckle at the large ring seal and at the axle seal perhaps you need to replace the seals.

Offline Chasm

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 135
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Bald Heads for Flat Heads
    • View Profile
Re: Front axles
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 10:40:32 AM »
Quote
If the oil leaks out of the steering knuckle at the large ring seal and at the axle seal perhaps you need to replace the seals.

That reminds me of a joke I once heard:
Did you hear about the walrus that crashed a tupperware party?
He heard that there were a lot of tight seals!

(Mr. Moderator: Feel free to delete if you think this is inappropriate!) �;)
Jeeps are like potato chips. It's hard to stop at just one!

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Front axles
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 08:02:56 PM »
 ;D That's good. I haven't heard that one.

Offline macrisel

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 639
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Always in the middle of a project
    • View Profile
Re: Front axles
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 11:00:13 AM »
Has anyone used the steering knuckle lube from Novak's?

Offline johnrb3b

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 906
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • No such thing as too many Jeeps - well maybe
    • View Profile
    • Jeeps and stuff
1946 2A - - - 1949 me - older than most of my Jeeps
1954 3B - - - 1957 Wagon - - - 2010 4-door JK
past Jeeps ---> '54 3B - no tub --- '59 3B - no engine
past addiction - VW ---> '69 bus --- '70 camper

Offline Frank

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 47
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Front axles
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 10:16:38 PM »
Quote
My front axle apears to be loaded with grease also. I don't know what it is. �The consistency is a bit soupy compared to regular grease, but not as loose as a 50/50 mixture of grease and gear oil. �It's about the consistency of brake grease I guess. �No leaks, and if memory serves, the balls got some lube before I took this thing apart.

If anyone has the Novak product, I would like to know how thick it is.

Tim �


Hi Tim, I have the Novak product, its pretty thick, especially when cold, On the grease scale it comes in @ #0 grade, semi fluid,

but still flows,

Now its quite a story how I came to find this unusual grease, and did not even start with tying to find it for a Jeep, found it in a Toyota, 1988 Land cruiser, Now I skimmed thru this thread and the folks concerned about getting oil on the brakes when filling the knuckle with oil, Yep the oil will work its way to the wheel hub and mix with the wheel bearing grease,

Now if everything is in tip top shape this wheel hub could contain a oil, but the potential of it getting on the brakes is there,

Now the odd thing about this grease it is used in the wheel hub as well as in the knuckle, the later model replicated axles have up to 2 lube grooves in the bushing to ensure this happens,

Now while it was the Toyota axle that I began to study I quickly realized where it came from and old Jeep information clued me into what was going on here,

This picture shows the two grades used by manufactures, #0 and #1 grade



Thanks Frank
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 10:33:59 PM by Frank »

Offline Frank

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 47
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Front axles
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 10:46:28 PM »
Quote
Has anyone used the steering knuckle lube from Novak's?


Yes,

I have been testing this old school Jeep grease in all sorts of wheel hubs, no problems, here it is in a Ford Explorer Wheel hub,





Offline macrisel

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 639
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Always in the middle of a project
    • View Profile
Re: Front axles
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 11:03:17 AM »
Do you like the Novak product better than the corn header grease?  I'm just trying to find the most economical product  ;)