The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Hood fit  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Gunslinger

Hood fit
« on: August 14, 2011, 09:04:56 PM »
Does anybody know if the 2A and 3A hoods are the same or different?  My hood sits flush to the fender at the front of the vehicle, but there is about a 3/4 inch gap at at the rear of the hood between the hood and fender.  I was just looking at the picture on the web site and that hood looks flat from back to front, mine is definatly at a downward agle from windshield to grill.  One other thought is that the hood hinge is built into the hood, not a bolt on seperate item.

Todd
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Hood fit
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 10:30:50 PM »
Hey Todd.

I am under the impression that the 2A and 3A hoods are the same.  I had to buy a new hood for my 3A and the fit was pretty good after I modified the hinge a bit. It was not a height issue like yours, but it was offset and didn't line up well with the grille.  I redrilled the hinge holes.   If you bought a new hood, it likely came directly or indirectly from Omix Ada.  The hinge could be mounted wrong.  

Also, if you don't have grille welting installed, the hood will lean downward, but that may only be around a 1/2" or so.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline rocketeer

• Flatfender Master
  • Support Our Troops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 10:10:22 AM »
All the hoods, MB is better, MB, CJ2A, and CJ3A interchange. It sounds like either you're missing the front welting or the fenders are up too high in the front. There should be about a 1/2" to 3/4" gap all around.

Larry

Offline Chasm

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Bald Heads for Flat Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 02:46:39 PM »
FYI: The hood block mounting holes are in different locations on a CJ3A & CJ2A. The CJ3A holes are an equal distance from the center hood seam. On the 2A one set is closer to center than the other, due to the top mounted wipers.
Jeeps are like potato chips. It's hard to stop at just one!