The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Tires  (Read 4261 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline TomJ

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 72
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • '51 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Tires
« on: May 06, 2011, 08:16:10 AM »
I was starting to think about ordering tires and wanted to get some opinions on which way to go.  From the resto's I've seen I like the 16" tires but am a little confused over the choices. Coker Tire lists both NDCC & NDT models in 16" 700/750/& 600.  What are the pro's & con's of the different types.  

Thanks
Tom

Offline mud pie

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 143
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Once a Marine....
    • View Profile
Re: Tires
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 08:51:43 AM »
There are many opinions out there, and I'm sure several will chime in. I, too, was looking at Coker until others pointed me to Wallace Wade Tires. Much better prices for the exact same tire.
1953 CJ-3A

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Tires
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 09:07:10 AM »
All depends on how you plan on using the jeep. NDT's and NDCC tires �have the right look, but they are not ideal on wet asphalt streets and some claim they are not too good in snow. I have �no personal experiencw wtih this in central Texas for some reason. � The classic snow tire tread like the old FIrestone Town and country �design is a better all around tire, but what once �was a basic, cheap tire has now �gotten expensive. In narrow 16 inch sizes you can expect to pay at least �$110 plus per tire, plus tubes if you need them.

Whatever tire you choose, google the brand and size, you might be pleasantly surprised at the price differences...and as shipping figures in too, you want to check out the shipping costs too.

You can save money by installing your own tires. New tires are pretty easyto put on, if you have nice cleaned and painted rims and use lots of tire lube If you still need to pull the old ones, usualy it is worth having the pros do it.

Here's some interesting reading on army tires...http://www.usarmymodels.com/ARTICLES/Tires/tires.html

Here's an older article from the 3B pages, I wish the tire prices were current prices! http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/tech/tires.html

STA Traxxion tire...http://www.universaltire.com/650-16-sta-super-traxion.html

I love the looks of these tires:   http://www.universaltire.com/650-16-firestone-knobby.html

And here's a post from the early CJ5 page with some nice pics of 7.00 16 NDT equipped jeeps.http://www.earlycj5.com/forums/showthread.php?61289-7.00-x-16-tires
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 09:21:44 AM by F_Bill »
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Tires
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 10:10:02 AM »
I am not even close to putting tires on my Willys, but I purchased 700-15 (15" rims)  Coker/Firestone NDCC tires from Summit Racing.  I bought them early, because when I first looked at them a couple months back, they were priced at $82.00 each Plus shipping.  A couple weeks went by and I looked again to find they were now $89.95 each, plus shipping.  I looked a couple weeks after that and they had gone to $99.95 each. I bought 5.   They are now $100.95 each.  

Oil Prices, are driving the prices up.  Who ever you choose to get them from, buy them now while they are still somewhat affordable.

By the way, dealing with Summit Racing was a nice experience.  
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline macrisel

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 639
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Always in the middle of a project
    • View Profile
Re: Tires
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 10:40:33 AM »
My $.02 is to get the larger size tires for your jeep.  These flatfenders just look better with the larger tires to fill up the wheel wells.  

Johnathon did a great comparison of tire size here:
http://www.cj-3a.com/new_tires_and_rims.htm

I purchased my NDT tires from Walcks and was very pleased.  There may be cheaper places out there, but I have had nothing but good luck with Walck's and really enjoy dealing with them.  If you havn't checked out their forum, you should.  Very informative and the guys are naturals behind the camera  ;D

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Tires
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 12:57:14 PM »
I bought 6.00x16 NDT and tubes from Wallace last fall and an pleased with them. The reason the Army uses the NDT tires is because they work well in mud and snow.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 01:02:29 PM by Carlsjeep »