The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Master cylinder removal  (Read 6089 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline mdsull3704

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 12
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Master cylinder removal
« on: April 09, 2011, 09:17:05 PM »
I have started working on my 53 CJ3a again after about 15 years (been sitting around WAY too long) and have started with the brakes as they were problematic when I stopped driving it and they seem to be worse now.

I am trying to get the master cylinder out and have all of the bolts, brake lines etc. loose, but the rear bolt hits the bell housing before it will clear the cylinder. I tried rotating it around a little, but have not tried really hard yet (dinner was ready and I was ready to call it an evening). Since I just got my account here I thought I would see if anyone knows the proper sequence of moves to undo the puzzle.

Thanks.
Mike Sullivan
Laramie, WY
53 CJ-3B, '53 CJ-3B

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Master cylinder removal
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 11:55:10 AM »
Can you leave the bolt in the cylinder and take the master off with it still in the master cylinder hole, but clear of the frame? I think I would reassemble it the other direction when you get it ready to reinstall. You may have to take the metal braca apart as well..
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Master cylinder removal
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 03:08:13 PM »
I can't remember what I did but I had a HELL of a time getting the master cylinder out and in on my Jeep. I think I invented a few new cuss words.  ;D

Offline mdsull3704

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 12
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Master cylinder removal
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 03:55:23 PM »
Bill, I think that I will have to leave the bolt in the casting as it goes through a bracket that is attached to the petal pivot.

Cussing hasn't happened yet, but I could see it coming to that!

I am off to do battle. We will see how i do especially since the weather turned cold (garage not heated...)

Thanks,
Mike.

Offline mud pie

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 143
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Once a Marine....
    • View Profile
Re: Master cylinder removal
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 04:05:24 PM »
Yep, leave the bolts in the master cylinder, just unscrew them from the frame, swing the deal down and remove the bolts. At least that's how mine went....
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 04:06:00 PM by mud_pie »
1953 CJ-3A

Offline mdsull3704

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 12
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Master cylinder removal
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 06:21:50 PM »
Got it out. I couldn't swing it down. The exhaust pipe was sort of in the way (could have budged it over), but I was still running into the bell housing with the bolt. I removed the push rod from the cylinder which allowed me to rotate it toward the front and then push it up (still "attached" to the bracket by the loose bolt) to the point that the bolt would then clear the bell housing. With the bolt out of the way it dropped straight out.

After disassembling it, I am really surprised how good it looks after several decades (at least). Now the question is to rebuild or replace.

Thanks for the help.
Mike.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:19:55 PM by mdsull3704 »

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Master cylinder removal
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 04:51:58 PM »
If the bore is not pitted buy a rebuild kit and rebuild it yourself. It's easy to do, just follow the instructions. Read the instructions before attempting the rebuild not after you start having trouble. ;D

Offline mdsull3704

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 12
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Master cylinder removal
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 04:59:30 PM »
There is one small rust spot about the size of a pin head that I can see. I think I will try honing it carefully and see if it clears up. If not, replace. Although part of me says don't chance it and just replace it (I keep flip flopping). I am going to replace all of the lines as well. After 58 years worth of crud, corrosion etc. it just seems like the right thing to do.

Thanks,
Mike.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 05:00:34 PM by mdsull3704 »

Offline Weedhopper

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 13
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Master cylinder removal
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 05:38:01 PM »
I would recommend replacement, I went through the same flip flop you experiencing when I was rebuilding my brake system. After replacing the wheel cylinders, brake lines and having a choice to rebuild an OK looking master cylinder it didn't seem to make sense not to put in a fresh MC. As the braking system on a CJ3a is marginal when operating at 100%, and given the trouble it is to remove the MC now seems like the time to replace it. All you should have to worry about is the shoe adjustment to have a well operating braking system. Just my 2 cents.  

Offline macrisel

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 639
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Always in the middle of a project
    • View Profile
Re: Master cylinder removal
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 05:55:23 PM »
I have to agree.  You are dealing with the vehicle system that controls how far it takes to stop your Jeep.  If you are going through and replacing your lines and wheel cylinders (never a bad idea) go ahead and replace the master cylinder.  During your first panic stop, you will be glad you did. ;)

I have learned from the school of hard knocks........on motorcycles and classic vehicles make sure your tires, brakes and steering are up to par.

Offline mdsull3704

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 12
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Master cylinder removal
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 06:03:29 PM »
Sounds like sage advice. Replace it is.  :)

Thanks. Mike.

Offline Gunslinger

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 942
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Re: Master cylinder removal
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 08:39:17 PM »
MD,
I've got a new one that is sitting in the shop getting dusty.  I took it off when I redid my brakes for the same reason.  I was doing everything, and the guy I bought the jeep from had put this one on, so not knowing better I just replaced it too.  If you want It send me a PM it will be a good deal.
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline mdsull3704

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 12
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Master cylinder removal
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 10:41:19 AM »
Gunslinger, did you get my PM ?

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Master cylinder removal
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 09:13:57 PM »
IF, you know for sure the new master cylinder is NEW and not rebuilt then put it on. If the new master cylinder is rebuilt it may be worse than your master cylinder. There is no way to be sure a rebuilt master cylinder is any better than the one your taking off.

If you have a master cylinder that has nothing more than a pin hole pit you have nothing to worry about, just rebuild it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 09:14:38 PM by Carlsjeep »

Offline Gunslinger

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 942
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Re: Master cylinder removal
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 02:16:03 PM »
No I didn't, send the e-mail to tsagabrielson@msn.com

I'll get it, and the master cyliner is new.
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...