The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: DEATH WOBBLE  (Read 4979 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline aboyandhisdog

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 760
  • Karma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
DEATH WOBBLE
« on: March 21, 2011, 06:24:56 PM »
Well, I thought I had this handled but when I took my 3A out for a drive today, the Willys wobble is back. �I will attempt to give all the pertinent information: � A year ago I replaced all of the steering components from the steering gear forward. �I have not rebuilt the steering gear as I don't think it needs it but it does have fresh pudding in it. �Anyway, after replacing the tie rods, ball joints, drag link, etc. , I have not had the problem at all. � I have what I think is a somewhat "non standard" spring setup - 11 leaves on the front, 10 on the rear. �I don't know the condition of the shocks or how to tell really, but they look pretty new (they're gray) and the jeep has been driving great. �I'm just at a loss now to diagnose this problem. �Does anybody know what , exactly, causes this violent shaking? �It seems to only ever happen right after I have left my driveway (jeep components cold), and right after I hit 3rd gear. �Of course I have to pull over right away for it to settle down and then it won't do it the rest of the trip. � Strange! �Sure would appreciate any help on this!
Tom


Offline Matto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 361
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: DEATH WOBBLE
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 07:12:49 PM »
Your tires could be developing "flat spots" when parked. You feel the vibration when the tires are cold and then it goes away as they warm up. A pretty common problem, some types of tires are more prone to it than others.
1949 CJ3A project,1954 CJ3B weekend driver,2012 JK Rubicon DD and weekend trail rig,2016 Ford F350 for dragging cool stuff home :)

Offline bayo500

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 87
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • You bought a what ?....
    • View Profile
Re: DEATH WOBBLE
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 07:47:20 PM »
http://www.cj3a.info/tech/shimmy.jpg
 rocketeer put this in the old forum

Offline RussellL

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 64
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: DEATH WOBBLE
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 10:56:21 PM »
As that link bayo500 posted says, the knuckles on the front axle are the usual cause of the shimmy. �The bearings that allow the knuckles to pivot side to side are supposed to be loaded tight enough that there is considerable resistance to turning the wheel back and forth. �If they are worn and loose the wheels can start to jump around (shimmy) if the jeep reaches the right speed. �The cure is to rebuild the knuckles and replace the bearings. �The preload is set by adjusting the number of shims under the bearing king pins. �Here is another link that gives a detailed description of the rebuild. �

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/steering_knuckle_repair.htm


Offline RA472A

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 19
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: DEATH WOBBLE
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 09:33:14 AM »
Try jacking up one front wheel at a time and see if you can rock the tire side to side or up and down.  Could just be loose wheel bearings.  I've had that happen for fear of overtightening and burning up bearings.

Offline Gunslinger

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 942
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Re: DEATH WOBBLE
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 12:09:03 PM »
I just went through this excercise on my Dad's M38A1, we pulled one of the knuckles apart, its not a bad job, and checked the King Pin Bearings, they were actually pretty good, if you pull the lower King Pin bearing you can feel the race, if its smooth you should be in good shape, if it feels like a wahboard gravel road it needs to be replaced.  So we put it all back together, before you put the brake assebley back together, use a fish scale and pull the knucle assembly, it should have 15 -17 lbs before it moves.  So I did all that and as I was working on it I shook the front axle and it moved, sat what?  I pulled the front shocks and they  had no resistance, replaced them and it was great, took all the bounce out of it.  Also balanced the tires as the old NDT seem to go out of balance real easy.  I think we put about 8 ozs of weight on the tire.  Good luck ;D
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline aboyandhisdog

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 760
  • Karma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: DEATH WOBBLE
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 12:18:22 PM »
Thanks, I'll check these bearings out.  And the shocks.
Tom