The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Tie rods  (Read 2620 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Paddy

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 62
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • '49 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Tie rods
« on: February 05, 2011, 12:45:16 PM »
I'm also working today on removing my tie rods.  I've removed the cotter pin and nut but can't figure out how rods separate from  the knuckles.  Do I have to remove the grease fitting and then use a gear puller to separate the socket from the knuckle?
Paul Hackett

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Tie rods
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 02:23:33 PM »
They make a forked wedge device to remove them but that doesn't always work even with heat. Sometimes you have to use a pry bar and hammer and get the part the taper fits into a light red heat and whack the end of the threaded area with a hammer while your prying up with the bar, or you can drive the wedge tool in.

This is not a job I like to do and it's seldom easy.

Offline Paddy

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 62
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • '49 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Tie rods
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 05:44:14 PM »
Thanks, I figured there had to be another tool I could buy.  I moved around it and dropped the springs and moved the axle and steering tie rods out from underneath the frame.  I now have the frame stripped clean/bare.  I wish there was a simple way to load photos so I could share the progress and challenges.  Thanks.
Paul Hackett

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Tie rods
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 06:50:56 PM »
A pickle fork (forked wedge) will usually remove a tie rod end easily. Of course it will ruin the seal and possibly the tie rod end too. That's okay if you are replacing the tire rod end. If you don't want to damage the tie rod end take a large hammer and hit the end of the knuckle's steering arm where the tie rod goes through. Usually the tie rod will fall right out on the first or second hit.
Bob W

Offline jamesr

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 343
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • If it's not broke, it's not used.
    • View Profile
Re: Tie rods
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 02:05:52 PM »
If your roemoving the tie rod ends from the shafts, they unscrew from the shafts. Jim
Home of the 4-wheel drive chicken coup.