The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Removing the tub  (Read 2018 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline mrman5917

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 94
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1950 Willys CJ-3A S/N 45360
    • View Profile
Removing the tub
« on: January 27, 2011, 11:32:24 PM »
Hello everyone,

I've been hard at work getting my 3A torn down. I've got to the point where, other than the body mounts themselves, the only thing keeping me from pulling the tub off the frame is the steering wheel, parking brake, and fuel tank.

One way or another, these are the things that I left to the end. So, the question is really how do I remove those three items with the least amount of trouble?

I've got a little gas left in the tank that I'll be siphoning out, and I'm sure there will be some left in the lines. Aside from just removing the lines and the straps, anything to watch out for? What about storing the tank, any prep that I should do before storing it?

I'm guessing the parking brake removal would be easiest to remove from the dash handle and get the other side once the body is off. Any hints or tips?

Finally, the steering wheel. I'm guessing I'll need some sort of puller to get the wheel off the column. Anyone have a pointer on what I need to get?

Thanks in advance :)
Kurtis

(quite possibly typed on a mobile device, so please excuse the typos)

Offline jamesr

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 343
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • If it's not broke, it's not used.
    • View Profile
Re: Removing the tub
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 09:17:11 AM »
I used a wheel puller on the steering wheel, with strips of 3/4" wood to hold the jaws.  Tapped the wheel as I tightened a round.  Gas tank I removed and dumped the fuel after it was removed. I live in AZ, so stored it filler side up on the sun side of the shop, untill the remaining evaporated.  Then I put a baggie over the filler neck with a rubber band, and masked the fuel outlet. fIf you live in an area where you are concerened with rusting the inside, then fill it with diesel before storing it. Diesel is a 'non-classified" liquid, so will not pose a hazard as gas does. When you pull the tub, make sure the steering gear and shaft is removed or very very loose.  If you muscle it off with a little help from your friends then it is no problem.  I used the bucket on the tractor, thinking I was being very very carful, and still bent the steering shaft just a bit.  Luckly the machine shop could straighten it for me on their big lath. Jim
Home of the 4-wheel drive chicken coup.

Offline RA472A

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 19
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Removing the tub
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 09:18:20 AM »
You can slip the ball end of the park brake cable out of the handle under the dash. You still need to undo the cable from the clamp on the engine firewall.�For the steering wheel, find a bearing seperator (cheapo Harbor Freight) and clamp it just below the wheel and then you can put your puller arms on the steel clamp. �Remember to put the steering wheel nut back on and put a stack of washers between the point of the puller and the nut so you don't crush it. �Leave the nut a little loose so the steering wheel has room to budge. �Repeat gradually until wheel off.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:19:34 AM by RA472A »