The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Gas tank strips  (Read 2443 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline macrisel

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 639
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Always in the middle of a project
    • View Profile
Gas tank strips
« on: January 26, 2011, 09:10:36 AM »
Can someone tell me how thick the "anti-squeak" strips under the gas tank should be?  I'm thinking of making some out of rubber to reduce moisture retention..

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Gas tank strips
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 06:37:38 PM »
The strips are 1/16" thick. You can see some surviving pieces here...
http://www.cj3a.info/tech/gastank.html

The strips were made from...
Asphalt saturated felt
Flintcoat 106
Armstrong Cork Co.
Sheathing Felt No. 314-47
Bob W

Offline jamesr

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 343
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • If it's not broke, it's not used.
    • View Profile
Re: Gas tank strips
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 10:17:43 PM »
I used 40 lb. roofing felt (paper).  Cut the strips 3 inches wide, and folded them over 3 times, making them 1 in. wide, then cut the lengths.  That makes them a bit wider, but did not seem to hurt anything. After the tank was installed and clamped down, I also wedged  rolled towel in the voids between the tank sides, and tank end  and the tub to keep dirt, rock, sand, limbs, sage brush and etc. out somewhat. Jim
Home of the 4-wheel drive chicken coup.

Offline macrisel

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 639
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Always in the middle of a project
    • View Profile
Re: Gas tank strips
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 09:29:45 AM »
Thanks guys!  That really helps a lot and that is a good idea about the felt paper.  I have some rubber strips that I believe will work.

Also, I didn't realize it until I saw the diagram, but it looks like I'm missing the bracket that holds down the rear of my tank.  ::)  Jeez.........looks like I'll get to try out Walcks new website again.. ;)

Offline jamesr

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 343
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • If it's not broke, it's not used.
    • View Profile
Re: Gas tank strips
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 09:41:53 AM »
Mine was missing also, and Walks sells them pretty reasonably. Jim
Home of the 4-wheel drive chicken coup.