Hello everyone,
I started the tear down of my CJ-3A in preparation for restoration this past weekend. As I was working on removing the front lights, the headlights came out nice and easy. Then I moved on to the parking lights. After removing the lens, retaining ring, and what I can only guess used to be some sort of seal, I was down to just a bare bulb on the front and the socket on the rear of the grille.
I started trying to twist and pull but was unable to get much movement in any direction. Based on the remainder of the seal, what was left of the original cloth wiring harness, the amount of rust on the bolts and the apparent corrosion around the socket, I'd venture to guess it's never been touched in 60 years or at least not very recently.
So, on the fear of sounding like an idiot, how can I remove the parking light assembly from the grill without breaking the bulb and implanting some very old glass into my finger?