The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Extended shock mounts  (Read 1321 times)

Offline MikeB

• Willys Fan
  • Still Plays With Jeeps, when my wife lets me.
    • View Profile
Extended shock mounts
« on: February 17, 2018, 11:29:13 AM »
wanted some rear extended shock mounts to fit longer travel shocks to my M38. I found you can use the M.O.R.E YJ shock mounts with a little modification to fit the M38, should work for the 3a also.

They attached to the stock mounts, you will need to remove the pin on the YJ mount and drill into the frame and use a 3/8� spacer at the stock mounting point. It gives you 4� of extra shock travel and for me it reduced the shock mounting angle.

Hope someone finds this useful.  :)

Offline aboyandhisdog

Re: Extended shock mounts
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 12:27:38 PM »
Mike, I'm going to ask a really dumb question...why would we need or want another 4" of shock travel?  Is this a rock crawler thing?  It seems to me that there is so little travel in my springs already, I don't even know how they could give more.  As for shocks, in my experience shocks with these stiff springs seem to be all but completely unnecessary.  I've driven on worn out shocks and can barely (if at all) discern any difference after replacement.  I'm sure there must be some need that I am overlooking here.
Tom

Offline MikeB

• Willys Fan
  • Still Plays With Jeeps, when my wife lets me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 02:57:07 PM »
I just posted this in case someone needed to go a similar route I had to. With the wider axles and lift I had, the stock shocks would limit the axle articulation, adding longer shocks allowed a greater range of movement and prevented the shocks from over extending.

Offline aboyandhisdog

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 04:40:59 PM »
Got it, thanks.
Tom