The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Stowage box  (Read 2453 times)

Offline SteveW

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Stowage box
« on: June 11, 2017, 02:46:39 PM »
When you live in the winter home of the greatest tinkerer who ever lived named Thomas Edison you can't help yourself. I had this frame that was part of a shipping assembly for a light fixture. It was so well made I actually hung it with the light. When the owner said it wasn't part of it I took it home with me and was going to make an outdoor portable cage for our rabbit. Never got around to it and the rabbit died so oh well. When I mounted the pull points and jack on my front bumper I kept looking at the space thinking it seemed to be wasted so I thought about a stowage box to fit in there. Didn't want it to interfere with anything and be too low so made sure it was big enough to be useful and most importantly secure and removable. Here is what I built

http

The frame is about 5/16" square and pretty strong, very easy to cut and weld
1950 CJ3A complete except for top. 1950 CJ3A in process of being sold to a friend. 1946 Bantam T3-C trailer, 1946 Cushman Step Thru Scooter.

Offline SteveW

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Stowage box
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 02:54:23 PM »
This is a big surplus French tow strap and I wanted it to be the size 2 would fit in. I can't remember where I got them but they are about 24' long

That was the top frame which filled the space and allowed me to secure it later

top and bottoms welded up

Checking for fit of strap

Welded bottom and sides. I just clamped and squared as I went. My welding for the most part was pretty bad somewhere between Helen Keller and a drunk monkey but it worked out pretty stout and paint covered a multitude of boo boo's

1950 CJ3A complete except for top. 1950 CJ3A in process of being sold to a friend. 1946 Bantam T3-C trailer, 1946 Cushman Step Thru Scooter.

Offline SteveW

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 03:04:25 PM »
For the lid I welded and bolted and then welded the hinges and hasp

Caulked seams inside and drilled 2 drain holes then painted and put foam around top and lid for some weather proofing

These are some hold down brackets to keep it secure. I welded flat bar and bent it so frame can't move. Tapped the holes in frame 7/16 nc and cut the spacers to keep it flat and everything stays tight

Here it is loaded and it has 2 big straps and small one some clevis hooks and other pieces of rope and misc bits. It has a lot of other uses I am sure and it will not take any rocks crashing it but it is not below the tie rods or punkin ball and won't be lowest thing getting whacked. It is about 20"x7"x12 1/2"s and was fun to make

Offline mtnman37879

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 07:47:55 AM »
Nice Job! Now you can throw all that junk in the back and fill the box with ice and beer, you got drain holes!
People think I go out of my way to * them off.
Trust me, It's not out of my way at all.

Offline aboyandhisdog

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 01:54:58 PM »
Good job, Steve.  I'd be interested in whether or not you run a bit hotter with the box in front of the radiator.  When I use my grill screen, I can usually add about 10 degrees to my running temps.  Especially in hot weather.  Let us know, please!
Tom

Offline SteveW

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 03:46:03 PM »
It doesn't block the radiator. It sits on frame

Not the greatest pic but it is above the front diff so clearance is o.k.