The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Swapping out my Donaldson air cleaner for a modern  (Read 4039 times)

Offline Julian

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Swapping out my Donaldson air cleaner for a modern
« on: August 12, 2015, 02:57:43 AM »
I have had Little Willy for a few months now and one thing I found was that the shiny green oil bath Donaldson air cleaner was missing its oil bath. Hence it was not filtering anything.

I struggled to confirm it was an FAE07 and then struggled to find the oil bath and screen. I would have liked to have kept it.

Then I started looking for a replacement and here it is, a Donaldson G070020. Brand new it is a 7" diameter filter (same diameter as per one fitted in 1951). It has two stages, the first one uses inertia and changing airflow to dump dirt (much as an FAE07 did, but it is self cleaning through a hose) and then there is finer filtration through a paper filter suitable for a more modern or diesel engine.

The capacity is around 400cfm and it will filter finer than an oil bath (not that it needs to). It is oversize for the L134 but should give years of service.

The only drawback is that the outlet looks larger than the 60 year old one and it is clearly not period correct (but filters the air).

Cost was only $80 plus shipping. 

If I find an oil bath I will put the old one back on and use this for my J20.

Offline Zach

• Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Swapping out my Donaldson air cleaner for a modern
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 01:37:11 PM »
I'm excited to see how this turns out!

Offline Gunslinger

• Flatfender Master
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 03:33:20 PM »
You won't go wrong with that Aircleaner.  its been a mainstay of the Air cleaner line for a long time now.  Radial Seal technology was a landmark in the industry and its still the best type of air cleaner you can buy for this application.  As you indicated it is over designed for the Willys.  The FPG style air cleaner is a heavy duty air cleaney, you find a lot of them on the newer Skid Steer loaders and small Construction equipment.  I was selling them to Deere about 15 years ago, they still use them.
Gunslinger
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline Mudviper

• Willys Fan
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 10:06:44 PM »
Anymore information on your modification? I recently purchased a CJ3A and it is also missing the air filter system and looking or a replacement. Where did you find it for $80

Thanks