The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Full flow Oil Filter set up  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Gunslinger

Full flow Oil Filter set up
« on: November 28, 2011, 08:29:23 PM »
First we drilled a hole in the oil pump mounting boss and tapped it to 1/4 inch NPT, anything larger will interfere with the steering gear, I don't have a picture but I did have to raise the engine on the drivers side by shimming up the mount in order to clear the steering gear.  Used a 1/4 inch piece of aluminum stock.

We used Dash 8 fittings and Aeroquip hoses, you can use what you like but I liked the race look of these.  

I used the original mounting bracket for the filter, we did tweak it a bit to run the hose through it and used a different grommet.

The mounting base is a NAPA 4764 remote mount base, I used a NAPA 1068 filter as I need the room above my Alternator.  There are a lot of choices, a longer filter will give you more capacity and lower pressure in the filter.

I used a 5x6 inch piece of Aluminum diamond plate to mount the head to, this is bolted directly to the original filter mounting plate that is fixed to the head.  The Aeroquip lines and fittings add a nice touch, I would not reccomend a smaller line, these are Dash 8 fittings in 1/4 inch line (ID).  You need the flow, I'm getting 60 lbs oil pressure at idle and 2000 rpm now.

We routed the oil back to the galley at the front bearing, same place the original config takes oil from.  We also reduced the Cam gear nozzle to .20 and plugged the drain hole in the cover.  Now the oil flows from the pump, to the filter back to number one rod and then fills the galley, now the Oil Pressure gage reads the system minimum pressure instead of system average as in the original set up.

Questions?

Todd
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline ventport

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Full flow Oil Filter set up
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 08:42:16 AM »
So does the oil pump also pump oil through the engine like it did from the factory in addition to the new full flow lines that you drilled into the pump, or did you have to plug an internal passage somewhere also?

Offline Gunslinger

Re: Full flow Oil Filter set up
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 04:43:42 PM »
Good question from Ventport,
The factory oil flow is plugged so that the oil has to go through the filter before it gets to the galley.  Inside the oil pump boss on the block is channel/hole that feeds the oil back to the galley, this is plugged and a new port is drilled in the side of the boss for oil to flow out of the pump to the new line that you will install to the filter.  The guy that did mine drilled this hole out and threaded it to 1/4 NPT and installed a pipe plug, he indicated that a frost plug could be used however he prefers threaded plugs on internals.  Both the hole that go out of the pump to the filter, and the hole at the number one rod where oil re-enters the galley were drilled and tapped to 1/4 NPT in order to allow for adequate flow as well.
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...