The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Useful tools.....  (Read 32123 times)

Offline scoutpilot

• Willys Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Useful tools.....
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 05:18:56 AM »
[size=12]A good quality Dwell/Tach and a good quality Vacuum Gauge top my list. You don't know which hammer to use or if it is time for Ryan's tool (always keep them cold) to be employed...[/size][/b]
Old fashioned service never goes out of style.
http: // www.oldjeepcarbs.freeforums.net

Offline PaulS

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 10:31:57 AM »
A press is high on the list.  Also a bunch of assorted pullers, from a cheap seal puller to an expensive slide hammer puller.  A couple different sets of seal installers have found multiple uses beyond installing seals, too.

And then there are the tools designed for one specific task and can't really be used for anything else, but that one task is *a lot* easier with them.  C-clip pliers are an example from the Jeep last weekend.  A non-Jeep example is a basin wrench--used for tightening the bolts that hold a faucet down, from underneath the sink.

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 12:13:37 PM »
A recent discovery...� at least for me, is a wobble head socket extension.� They really help me get into some awkward places on a Willys.

And vise grips....Like FBill, I can't own enough of them.

Tim
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 12:14:32 PM by athawk11 »
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline F Bill

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 09:14:13 PM »
When I changed engines for a living, those wobble extensions were in constant use.. But even better than that, I had wobble sockets, with a universal built right in the socket.. Full set of 3/8 impacts for may small air wrench, and a few sizes of 1/2 drive for bellhousing bolts. .Those got me to  some pretty hard to get bolts. And when the bolts are rusted off, a set of rounded bolt remover sockets works wonders...(Think exhaust manifold bolts...) And I still cannot live without some really long extensions...24 inch and 3 foot ones. Good strong thick ones for breaking tight bolts you can't get close to. Lots of times those bolts you swear the engineers were out to get the mechanics with are easy to get to if you got a bit farther back on them.
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 12:12:40 AM »
Wobble sockets are great...and wobble extensions...

I have one wobble socket, but one day I'll get a 9/16 for those manifold nuts....or maybe a whole set

The 1/4 drive universal ball joint is handy...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 11:14:52 AM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Ryan_289

• Willys Fan
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 11:03:49 AM »
Two of the best tools I have access too are at work.  We have a large shop press and a steam pressure washer.  The steam washer is GREAT!  it blows 60 year old grease of to bare steel faster than anything else out there.

I recently bought one of those cheap parts washers from TSC.  I use it quite frequently as well.

Offline MikeB

• Willys Fan
  • Still Plays With Jeeps, when my wife lets me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 02:25:35 PM »
A useful tool for removing or freeing stubborn cylinders heads is 20 feet of 3/8" soft rope or twine. Remove all cylinder head bolts, remove all spark plugs, find the cylinder that is at the bottom of its stroke. Feed in the rope thru the spark plug hole, one you can get no more rope in the cylinder either bump the starter or turn over the engine by hand. The rope will be compressed in the cylinder by the up swing of the piston and will push the cylinder head free and up. Make sure you remove any manifolds and accesories that are connected to the head first.

This way there is no need to try to pry the head up with a pry bar etc! and the rope won't damage or scratch anything.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 02:27:58 PM by iron_mike »

Offline bwtufts

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 11:52:48 PM »
I will swear by the wobble extensions and sockets. Depending on the brand they are expensive, but worth their weight in gold in the long run.

I would say my most useful tool would be what my dad always refers to as a "blue tipped wrench". An Oxygen/Acetylene torch, in my mind, is a must have in any shop/garage. Although it's not as precise as a plasma cutter in metal cutting, it's cheaper and a hundred times more versatile. Stuck nut/bolt?? Heat it up and yank it off... Still won't budge?? Cut it off and start over. I have yet to encounter a stuck fastener or part that would not break loose with the right amount of heat.

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 08:38:09 PM »
I don't know why I didn't try this before.....I have used flashlights and or one of those tube type drop lights that are always blinding you because they refuse to shine in the right direction....

I used this today to remove the rear drive shaft and wonder of wonders the light was always pointed at whatever I was looking at....

So if you go spelunking under the Willys try one of these..

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:31:23 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Ryan_M

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2014, 07:06:18 AM »
Funny that you should post this. I bought a similar light last week for a completely different purpose but have pretty much been wearing it is the garage ever since. Handy little thing to have.
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline scoutpilot

• Willys Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2014, 07:18:57 AM »
A useful tool for removing or freeing stubborn cylinders heads is 20 feet of 3/8" soft rope or twine. Remove all cylinder head bolts, remove all spark plugs, find the cylinder that is at the bottom of its stroke. Feed in the rope thru the spark plug hole, one you can get no more rope in the cylinder either bump the starter or turn over the engine by hand. The rope will be compressed in the cylinder by the up swing of the piston and will push the cylinder head free and up. Make sure you remove any manifolds and accesories that are connected to the head first.

This way there is no need to try to pry the head up with a pry bar etc! and the rope won't damage or scratch anything.

[size=14]GENIUS![/size][/b]
Old fashioned service never goes out of style.
http: // www.oldjeepcarbs.freeforums.net

Offline 1oldracer

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • bad decisions limit future options
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2014, 10:34:48 AM »
If you need both hands to do something else while looking for tdc an adapter from an old vacuum gauge, a piece of plastic hose, and a loud whistle works every time.
If its not broke, work on it till it is

Offline macrisel

• Flatfender Master
  • Always in the middle of a project
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2015, 10:37:57 AM »
Very cool!  I like this idea along with the rope idea to free up a stuck head.  Ingenuity like this is worth more than a $50 tool!

If you need both hands to do something else while looking for tdc an adapter from an old vacuum gauge, a piece of plastic hose, and a loud whistle works every time.

Offline johnrb3b

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • No such thing as too many Jeeps - well maybe
    • View Profile
    • Jeeps and stuff
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2015, 03:53:59 PM »
Headlamps - Oh Yeah.
I converted to headlamps years ago and now have SEVERAL.
I have a mottley collection of them that use AA or AAA cells. They are scattered around the house and in some tool boxes.
I also have, in each car, one that uses lithium cells so it can ride in the car for 3 years and it will still light up when I need it. This is the current version of it:
http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Survival-Technologies-Headlamp-Black/dp/B00CMWFLOE/ref=dp_ob_title_sports
Head lamps rock.
1946 2A - - - 1949 me - older than most of my Jeeps
1954 3B - - - 1957 Wagon - - - 2010 4-door JK
past Jeeps ---> '54 3B - no tub --- '59 3B - no engine
past addiction - VW ---> '69 bus --- '70 camper

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2015, 08:36:50 PM »
And how did we exist without tie-wraps and Velcro? I haven't a jeep use for Velcro yet but tie wraps.....they are perfect on the steering seals that don't fit and the rattly top frame....