The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Removing Front Output Shaft Housing on Dana 18  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Jimmy Fehr

Removing Front Output Shaft Housing on Dana 18
« on: April 01, 2018, 09:53:43 PM »
Guys,

I am taking my Dana 18 apart and I can't get the Front Output Shaft Housing off. It is separated about 3/4" from the case and something just won't let it come off? I can't see what is holing it? The pilot bearing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Removing Front Output Shaft Housing on Dana 18
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 12:43:19 PM »
Be sure to read this section on the transfer case rebuild from the tech articles....the tech section has pictures....

D21. Drive the front bearing forward enough to use a set of flat-bladed snap ring pliers to move the output shaft snap-ring forward, and out of the groove. On some T-cases this bearing just slides forward but many others require force. The book calls for using Willys Tool Model_18_Rebuild/w139T.jpg (2525 bytes). I made my own� Model_18_Rebuild/RicksW139T.jpg (2446 bytes) from a cheep steel hatchet, by cutting the middle out of it with a grinder. It worked great.� Model_18_Rebuild/HatchetToolT.jpg (3032 bytes)� Once it was driven in between the gear and the bearing I was able to gain more clearance by tapping on the side of the hatchet blade. By using cheap (soft) steel, it is less likely to damage the hardened steel shaft or bearing. Caution: Failure to move this snap ring out of the groove has resulted in people cracking their cases. The snap ring can not be seen until you drive the bearing forward on the shaft and this can not be done by using a press on the end of the shaft

http://www.cj3apage.com/index/Tech_Tips/Model%2018%20Rebuild.htm

Doug's write up has assembly pictures that show the snap ring being installed...

http://www.cj3apage.com/index/Tech_Tips/DougHD-18TransfertCase.htm
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 12:46:49 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 55 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 12:48:46 PM »
Randy, I wonder if he's having trouble getting the front bearing cap off.

If so...

The interlock pill/pin is stopping you from removing the front bearing cap.  You have to shift the front wheel drive lever in to the �engaged� position.  (Push it all the way forward)  It might be easier to do this if you temporarily re-install the shift lever.  Once you do this, the cap will come off. 
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Jimmy Fehr

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 02:20:30 PM »
Yes. I can't get the Front Bearing cap off. It feels like the interlock might be my problem. I guess I will put the shift back on and try to get it into the engaged position.  I will try that tonight. Thanks.

Offline Jimmy Fehr

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 10:02:49 AM »
Update........ I still couldn't get it off. I noticed that the Output Shaft Clutch was pushed in (more than normal). I put the nut back on and pry it out, then the cover came off. I must have pushed it in some how. Anyways it is off and can get back into it.