The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Oil everywhere  (Read 1248 times)

Offline aboyandhisdog

Oil everywhere
« on: October 22, 2018, 09:08:05 PM »
Well, I finally got around to scraping my old screw on oil filter and replacing with the "correct" style Fram from Walcks.� I put the usual 4.5 qts. in the crankcase and a half quart in the filter, which brought the level in the canister to about half way.� When I put the filter inside the oil came to about 3/4 of the canister.�

So I thought I had it all handled.� My new hoses didn't leak which was my fear originally.� But, when I took a nice long drive, once the engine was nice and hot, the canister lid leaked oil down the sides which then blew all over the engine compartment!� Huge mess!

So, what the heck did I do wrong?� I had the lid nice and tight, but did find that I could tighten it a bit more after the melt down.� The gasket was in place under the lid.� Did I overfill the canister?� Is my oil pressure too high?� (the high is generally 40-50psi)� I don't think my lines are blocked as the oil in the filter is now dark so I feel it must be circulating well.�

Tomorrow I will siphon some oil out of the filter to bring down the level to say, 1/4 full.� Has this ever happened to others?� What say you?

I happen to have a spare filter on hand and opened the box to look at it.  There is the gasket for under the lid, and there is also a o-ring in the box.  Where does the o-ring go?  I can't find one on the filter that came in the canister. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 09:11:02 PM by aboyandhisdog »
Tom

Offline 64CJ5

Re: Oil everywhere
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 01:12:17 AM »
I do not have experience with this type of filter set up, so I can not offer advice.  Good luck with the clean up.

Tom 
The sun never sets on the mighty Jeep.

Offline stony

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 01:31:23 AM »
I don�t think you can overfill it.  The oil comes in the inlet and fills the area around the outside of the filter then travels through the filter to the outlet on the bottom right?  So the canister should be completely full of oil after all of the air is pushed out.  It sounds like your gasket is just not sealing on the cover.  The flat gasket should be the correct one (O rings usually sit in a groove). Is it a rubber gasket?  If it is you may have overtightned it and it kind of squished out from the lip.
Terry
1949 CJ3A 11159 body 11225 engine 11140
On preservation vs. restoration:Roscoe Lee Brown "the Cowboys" when he met the whores on the trail:"Well, I have the inclination, but not the time.

Offline Gunslinger

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 08:29:16 AM »
Sorry to hear about the mess Tom, you have such a clean engine compartment to start with.  Good luck on the clean up.  I had one of those oil filters at first, its a bypass system so it does not see a lot of pressure, pretty much gravity feed through the filter.  I would replace the oil filter with the new one and use the new gaskets/ o rings from the box.  It may just be an alignment issue in the cover.
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline aboyandhisdog

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 04:21:37 PM »
I called Walcks and the o-ring is for a different canister. 
I'm guessing that I just didn't have enough torque on the bolt that holds the lid down.  I had it snug, but maybe "snug+10%" is what is needed.

Anyway, thanks for the input.  I thought maybe this had happened to somebody else and was curious what they did about it.  Hope to drive it again tomorrow or Thurs. and will know more then.
Tom

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 09:57:00 PM »
I had a similar experience when I first started my engine.

Oil from the canister filter spread everywhere by the fan. What a mess!!

There is full pressure to the canister type filter but not a lot of flow.

I found that the filter cap bolt had to be REALLY tight..almost to the point of "oh i hope it doesn't strip!"

Maybe snug + 20%..!!

Randy
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline aboyandhisdog

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 10:28:32 AM »
Thanks a lot, Randy!  Great to know I'm not the only one and that I'm not losing it just yet.  :-?   It does seem to require an excess amount of force for just holding the lid down and it seems like maybe a softer gasket that would seal quicker and better is what is needed here. 
Tom

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 12:40:03 PM »
I think I tried a fiber washer under the cap nut, between the cap nut and the cap, thinking that shouldered cap nut or whatever it's called might be bottoming out on the stud.....that just added another place for it to leak from!

Never had any problem with the filter in the CJ-5 ....but that engine has never been rebuilt so probably considerably lower oil pressure...just has an oil light so real pressure is unknown....
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 12:46:12 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 01:34:39 PM »
yep!  been there done that!  Right after an oil change, while driving I noticed a metallic rattle and looked at the gauge and noticed erratic oil pressure.  I immediately pulled over and found the "coated engine"  all coming out from under the lid.

I hadn't tightened the lid enough.  A top off and a secure lid solved the problem.  I did have the correct seals (lid and screw).

Just my input, you don't need to "add" oil to the canister (nothing wrong with it if you want to).  The engine will do that.  Just pour the oil into the filler neck and crank.  The moving parts are still coated with oil from when you shut down before.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline aboyandhisdog

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 02:47:40 PM »
Thanks a lot, Russ.  I'm still finding areas underneath that are still coated!  But I'm gaining on it.  Took off the skid plate so I could do a good de-greasing and power wash.  It'll be clean again some day.
Tom

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 09:40:23 PM »
but, but...... that coating protects against rust......
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C