The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Original seat cover colors  (Read 272 times)

Offline stony

Original seat cover colors
« on: May 19, 2019, 05:29:47 PM »
Hey folks, starting another project, I am redoing my seats and even though I think my seat covers ( what�s left of them) are original, but want to make sure.  Gray seems to be considered correct, but mine are red, and am wondering if this is a stock color.  Right now I am planning on building a set of springs to match my rusty ones, and trying my hand at sewing some covers.  I have enough pieces to make a decent pattern.  Yeah I know I could buy them, but that is too easy.  Anyway here is my current seat back.
Terry
1949 CJ3A 11159 body 11225 engine 11140
On preservation vs. restoration:Roscoe Lee Brown "the Cowboys" when he met the whores on the trail:"Well, I have the inclination, but not the time.

Offline Glen

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Original seat cover colors
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 05:10:32 PM »
Hi. Did not reply to your post. Yes I am sure red was stock. My jeep has Luzon red seat. Still original.  It comes back from the shop this weekend and I can try and get some photos.

Glen

Ps have you figured out the seat patterns, I printed them out but I am having a hard time understanding them.

Offline stony

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 08:11:21 PM »
Yes pretty much.  I have my original seat back.  It has a little pocket sewn into the bottom to hold the springs.  I am going to try to make a pattern.  I have the sides to the bottom, but the seat top should be pretty easy to figure out.  The stuff to build my springs is on the way, and I am getting a sewing machine for my covers.  My summer project. 
Terry
On preservation vs. restoration:Roscoe Lee Brown "the Cowboys" when he met the whores on the trail:"Well, I have the inclination, but not the time.

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 11:33:28 AM »
Hey Stony,
Pretty sure Bob W's book describes "Barcelona Red" as one of the vinyl seat cover colors.

I thought the same about buying seat covers...I wanted to make them myself, like most other things I've done on my Jeep. I started to look for a craigslist sewing machine and my wife said: "how much just to buy the seat covers?". I told her $100 per seat and she rolled her eyes and said "Just go buy 'em". So I did, from Walck's, and I was very pleased with the quality. I used foam (did that myself haha) because my springs are just too far gone. The seats came out looking very nice....
I'll update my "build" thread soon with some pictures. Just wanted to point out that after all was said and done, it was one thing I was happy to save time on rather than do it myself.
But I'm looking forward to seeing how you come along on your set....Good luck!
Dave Miles
Presently: � � � � � � � �
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline stony

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 09:07:09 PM »
Yeah Dave, I considered Walcks covers, but decided to try my own.   Might break even, found a Singer 201-2 for $100 (1953) we�ll see how it works out.  Starting a seat spring thread.
Terry

Offline stony

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 01:25:33 PM »
A vital part of my seat project came today.  1953 Singer 201-2.   Yeah I�m a glutton for punishment!
Terry

Offline stony

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 05:43:52 PM »
So my seat project rolls along, and am trying to figure out how to do stuff.� My red marine vinyl (Naugahyde Universal) came today, so it was time to test my sewing machine.� My covers will look stock, but with some improvements like reinforced French seams, so it was time to see if I could do it.� I�m happy to say that the old Singer sews vinyl really well.� My first try at a French seam, pretty slick[ch128512].  I kinda like the contrasting colors!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 05:44:53 PM by stonyloam »
Terry