Some of my kids and grandkids came for the 4th of July. That prompted my first return to Dark Canyon this year.
Here we are at the trail head.

A pause for a photo as we work our way down the dugway into the canyon.

Wild flowers and Jeeps on the canyon floor.

When we stopped to eat lunch I asked where the CJ-5 was. I was told that the engine had quit about a mile back, but the driver told the new Jeeps to go ahead and he would catch up. Not knowing the "rules of the trail" (Rubicon and Sport drivers just must not get it--even if they are my own kids), I hurried back to help out. It would run as only as long as starting fluid was sprayed into the carb.
Because of a post here on the 3A site about a fuel pump failure on last year's Colorado Fall Colors Ride, where the day was saved because one of the drivers had a spare fuel pump along, I chose to start carrying a spare fuel pump. Even though since my restoration I have used the dual action fuel pump I just purchased the simple single action pump, the extra fittings and some fuel hose. Since last Monday they have been in a small package in the tool box under the passenger seat. Less than a week later the spare pump saved the day.

Kids claiming their spots in Grandpa's Jeep. Does a lot for my ego--maybe they were just being nice.

Through the grasses and willows (something not common in the Southwest deserts). That's one thing that causes me to return here again and again.

Threatening weather caused us to shorten our ride in Dark Canyon. Here we are headed back up the dugway.

Bears Ears Pass on the main road heading home. The dark skys still linger over Dark Caynon behind us.

All in all, another fun day Jeeping with family.