The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Photobucket, BBS systems, forums, etc.  (Read 4590 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline squidtone

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 348
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Photobucket, BBS systems, forums, etc.
« on: July 05, 2017, 09:43:22 PM »
I just wanted to comment on the huge impact this decision by Photobucket to start rolling back third party hosting has had on the internet. It's a huge disappointment for so many and thousands if not millions of blogs and bulletin board posts are negatively affected. I myself have used photobucket to host my threads on this CJ3A site, and while a big hassle to use them, the end result is nice for hosting pix.
But during the past week everyone has started to get these ugly replacement images on their posts and blogs saying they need to sign in to Photobucket and basically pay 400 bucks a year to get photo hosting. What a sad development. Lots of folks say even if one paid it Photobucket shot themselves in the foot fatally by doing this without warning and they will sink beneath the waves soon enough from this huge blunder of a business decision, and your money would be gone anyway.

But I vow to rebuild my thread(s), even if I have to start a new one. I'm lucky I guess, my threads on here aren't that long. Some of you guys have dozens of pages. I wish you luck!
And I'll finish up by also mentioning that i really appreciate what you guys do for this CJ3A page, and BBS system. I really appreciate how there are no clickbait ads crowding out our posts. It's amazing how BAD most bulletin boards/forums have gotten. I hear that a couple big companies have just bought out all the forums and bulletin boards they can and put up these atrocious clickbait scantily clad women crap. I hate that.
Thanks to you the CJ3A moderators and supporters. When there is a drive again, I'll donate!
Dave (squidtone)
Dave Miles
Presently: � � � � � � � �
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline Quebec Jeep

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1193
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
Re: Photobucket, BBS systems, forums, etc.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 10:33:24 AM »
We are doing our best to get our Forum away from any kind of ad's and scammer. It's a day to day work.

You can attach pics directly into your post. The only bad things is they will be shown at the end of it. It's not possible to enter text between each pics.


I don't know if those are good alternative or not but there is Google Photo services and Imgur.
https://www.google.com/photos/about/
http://imgur.com/



Here some article about what is happen with Photobucket.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40492668
https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2017/07/07/free-service-isunsustainable-in-an-age-of-online.html
I'm jeepcoholic!

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Photobucket, BBS systems, forums, etc.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 09:07:01 PM »
Dave,
I share your frustration.  Nearly every photo I've ever posted here was a PhotoBucket link.   I'm trying to decide how to move forward.  I do know I most certainly won't pay PhotoBucket $400.00.  This was a real * move on their part.

I may try to rebuild my entries.  I don't mind paying a fair price for photo hosting, but I would need to be convinced that this wouldn't happen again.  I'm considering making my own web site and hosting my own photos.  Give or take, this would probably cost around $100.00 a year.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Photobucket, BBS systems, forums, etc.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 11:33:27 AM »
I'm with you Tim. Frustrating to say the least.

I have started to replace all the photobucket picture links in my posts, but it's likely to take some time...

Randy
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline johnrb3b

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 906
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • No such thing as too many Jeeps - well maybe
    • View Profile
    • Jeeps and stuff
Re: Photobucket, BBS systems, forums, etc.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 02:27:33 PM »
I've never used photobucket because I despised their user interface for both poster and visitors. Though not nearly as much as I despise the facebook interface. :(
I've also seen a fairly constant series of error issues with photobucket as their service has been spotty over the years.
I use a free hosting service that has a few annoying restrictions, but for the most part I'm happy with them. It helps to be pretty computer literate as well.
https://www.biz.nf
On both this forum and The Old Willys forum, I post my pics within the forum structure.
On the 3B forum I have to link to pics on my own web site.
I appreciate the forums that host pictures despite the extra cost. That's why I'm willing to ante up to support this forum and also help with admin tasks as I can.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:27:56 PM by johnrb3b »
1946 2A - - - 1949 me - older than most of my Jeeps
1954 3B - - - 1957 Wagon - - - 2010 4-door JK
past Jeeps ---> '54 3B - no tub --- '59 3B - no engine
past addiction - VW ---> '69 bus --- '70 camper

Offline SteveW

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 457
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Photobucket, BBS systems, forums, etc.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 09:25:12 PM »
I have been very pleased with surfacezero for my pics. Brian is a good guy and I believe it is a stable long term site
1950 CJ3A finished. 1950 CJ3A in pieces. 1947 Bantam T3-C trailer, 1946 Cushman Scooter 50 series

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Photobucket, BBS systems, forums, etc.
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 12:45:55 PM »
Hey fellas.  Can someone please look at my Whitey build thread...Page 1 only... and tell me if you can see photos?

Thanks for your help.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Photobucket, BBS systems, forums, etc.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 01:54:38 PM »
Quote
Hey fellas.� Can someone please look at my Whitey build thread...Page 1 only... and tell me if you can see photos?

Thanks for your help.

Tim

I could only get one picture to come up, in post #9..that offset motor mount adapter. There are other posts with rectangles but no picture on my computer...

http://www.cj3apage.com/cgi-bin/3Ayabb26/YaBB.pl?num=1364925701
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Photobucket, BBS systems, forums, etc.
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 02:10:34 PM »
Thanks Randy.

I'm trying a couple things using Google Photos.  I did use a slightly different process when setting up the photo that you can see, but I'm not entirely sure I can duplicate that process. :-?

From my computer, I can see all the photos on page 1 that I re-posted, but I tried a similar process at the 2A Page and got similar results.  (Some could see them, others could not.) 

Still working on a simple solution.  I could follow your lead and add them all to the bottom, but I really prefer the verbiage between photos.  It reads more like a picture book this way.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Photobucket, BBS systems, forums, etc.
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 12:20:35 PM »
Can you see this image?

2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline aboyandhisdog

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 760
  • Karma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Photobucket, BBS systems, forums, etc.
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 03:50:49 PM »
I can see it, Tim.  Don't know what it is, but I can see it!
Tom


Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Photobucket, BBS systems, forums, etc.
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 04:23:44 PM »
Thanks Tom.
It's an official Willys adapter that allowed a CJ2A engine and front mounting plate to be installed in a CJ3A frame.

The photo was posted using...

postimg.org

A very simple image hosting site.  Almost too simple.  I'm still looking for the "gotcha" moment. :o
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Quebec Jeep

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1193
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
Re: Photobucket, BBS systems, forums, etc.
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 08:20:04 PM »
I'm sorry for not beeing very helpful with this.

My job is keeping me away from my hobby...

I should be back after september.

I'm jeepcoholic!

Offline Quebec Jeep

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1193
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
Re: Photobucket, BBS systems, forums, etc.
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 01:33:24 PM »
Well, I did launch a new website yesterday.

There is two user for now. me and Dave from Ewillys!

It will be an image postings/sharing website but for Willys pics!

Give it a try at :

http://www.mywillyspics.com/
I'm jeepcoholic!