The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: How far you will go?  (Read 6606 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Quebec Jeep

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1193
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
How far you will go?
« on: September 26, 2013, 08:21:01 AM »
I'm starting this thread just for fun.

The name of it is "How far you will go?"

We know that our passion..."It's a Jeep things!"

Let's start with how far you will go in term of hours and mileages to get the prestine jeep?

And in term of money?

What you will be ready to trade for a jeep?

What crazy thing are you ready to do for your jeep?
I'm jeepcoholic!

Offline Quebec Jeep

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1193
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
Re: How far you will go?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 08:22:58 AM »
Let me start.

In term of hour and mileage.....I did 1350 miles and 22 hours to get mine and the same for the return.

I never spend a lot of money but I pay a rear seat 400$ US and it cost me 450$ US for the shipping!!!!!

I'm jeepcoholic!

Offline bretto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 486
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • OD 3A cousin
    • View Profile
Re: How far you will go?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 08:38:19 AM »
I think most will be able to reply with how far they went to get what they have now.
Me, I only had to drive about 160 miles round trip and $2500 for mine.� But then spent almost 3 years restoring before I got it on the road.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 08:39:10 AM by bretto »
Brett Orem, UT� [size=14]PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD[/size][/URL]

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: How far you will go?
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 09:14:43 AM »
I think the true rock stars in thei category are those like Harry Sheets, John Bizal, the guys at Kaiser Willys, Darryl Bensinger, and Ron Fitzpatric who travel worldwide to get our parts for us.

As far as individual jeep owners go Lonnie aka CheapJeep shows up at the reunions with a tractor trailer full of jeeps, all of which are amazing examples, no plain jane ones at all.

I travel coast to coast, and have jeep parts in my collection from New Hampshire, Florida, California, and Washington State. I do travel for a living so it isn't like I took off to parts far away simply to get a jeep, although I have purchased two trailers on the road to drag home what I found.

One of these days I will get off the road long enough to finish a jeep or two. Then I am going to have to start selling off the surplus, of which there is plenty. My method has always been not to buy individual parts, rather choosing parts jeeps and aborted projects to get parts from. I have a Surrey jeep and things like bumpers and hubcaps, always huge money on Ebay, came with jeeps attached.

For me the chase is the adventure, until I get to go in my own jeep on a Colorado trail ride.
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline Quebec Jeep

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1193
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
Re: How far you will go?
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 09:27:27 AM »
Quote
although I have purchased two trailers on the road to drag home what I found.

This is something I will not be able to do. My wife would kill me as soon as I will arrive at home.
I'm jeepcoholic!

Offline johnrb3b

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 906
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • No such thing as too many Jeeps - well maybe
    • View Profile
    • Jeeps and stuff
Re: How far you will go?
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 09:43:11 AM »
Well, let's see.

My first CJ-3B I paid $4,500 + tax and drove 5 (five) miles to get it and drove it home. Only repairs I've done - rear springs and some wiring.

Number two 3B -� I paid a guy to haul it from WI. No tub but running chassis. $900 and paid another $300 for the haul.

Number three 3B - was about 25 miles away. Engine in pieces and rotten tub. Paid $750 delivered to my house. Ended up selling most of it.

Number four was a Station Wagon. Drove about 25 miles and drove it home. Paid $1,300 and have done nothing but drive it around - it's my utility hauler. First repair just appeared - radiator is leaking. Rats.

Number five is actually the other John's. We rented a truck and trailer, drove to Minneapolis area (800 mi round trip) to get the Willys stake bed truck. $3,500 with lots of extra parts. It ran fine for a year and then a rod started knocking so we drove to WI (360 mi round trip) to get another engine - $600.

That's it so far. Out of all that, we have four running, driving Willys. Drive them to work, to Harbor Freight, to shows, etc. Next summer will be some off-road time. Woohoo.

Oh, I should add our trip to MA to buy the Rubicon from Garage Gnome. Rode the train to his place (18 hours) and drove the Rubi home - 900 miles. It was worth it. Neither of our wives really understand such things but you all do. :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 09:50:18 AM by johnrb3b »
1946 2A - - - 1949 me - older than most of my Jeeps
1954 3B - - - 1957 Wagon - - - 2010 4-door JK
past Jeeps ---> '54 3B - no tub --- '59 3B - no engine
past addiction - VW ---> '69 bus --- '70 camper

Offline duffer

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 54
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Just old
    • View Profile
Re: How far you will go?
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 10:25:23 AM »
I have never gone any real distance for any of mine.  The GPW and 2A were just dumped at my doorstep, 3A was an 8 mile trip, the 3B a 5 block trip (walked) and drove it home, and the 68 was a trip (about a mile) to the dealer (it was essentially new).  The longest I have gone to pick something up is about 80 miles (one way) for a 63 wagon.  It had been rolled off a mountain and we had to block and chain the rear axle in it to tow it home.  The only reason I wanted it was for an almost new Warn OD and Ramsay PTO, but both sets of diff gears ended up in the 3B and a friend of mine with a wagon used a lot of the body pieces.
48 2A, 49 3A, 51 Wagon, 55 3B, 57 FC 150, 57 Wagon, 60 FC 170, 68 CJ 5, 2012 JKUR

John, Bozeman, MT

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: How far you will go?
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 10:44:12 AM »
I've been lucky...or lazy.�
First one was 12 miles away.� I was able to drive it home.� Glad I didn't have to get hard on the brakes.� There were none.� $1,500.00

The next two were a package deal.� 2 for $2,000.00.� 3.5 miles from my home.� We were able to flat tow them to my home.� PO had one.� I had the other.

I seriously considered driving to Arizona for a good 2A Windshield frame.� 1,200 mile round trip. Checked the 'MPG' on my truck.� It would have cost me far too much in fuel.� Owner would not ship it.� Oh well.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline SteveW

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 457
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: How far you will go?
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 03:42:05 PM »
Both mine were less than 5 miles from my house and 1st one was "free" and 2nd was 1k. Quit counting how much spent on them years ago. I did drive 150 miles to near Orlando to get my Civvy Bantam trailer and back because of way down where I livestuff like that doesn't make it.
1950 CJ3A finished. 1950 CJ3A in pieces. 1947 Bantam T3-C trailer, 1946 Cushman Scooter 50 series

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: How far you will go?
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 06:55:18 PM »
Quote
Quote
although I have purchased two trailers on the road to drag home what I found.

This is something I will not be able to do. My wife would kill me as soon as I will arrive at home.

Hmmm.. a Wife.. Nope, ain't got one of those yet. I wonder why?
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: How far you will go?
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 09:00:59 AM »
I have not driven too far in any one direction in search of Jeeps or parts but if I added up the combined mileage of the thousands of parts runs I've made around town I'm sure a ride to the moon and back would be a shorter distance.
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Bruce_W

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 92
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: How far you will go?
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 03:12:58 PM »
I drove 233 miles into the Colorado mountains to get a pretty-much-junk '55 CJ5 just because it had a PTO winch. The price was maybe OK without the trip, but I was committed. I talked a friend into taking his diesel PU thinking it would be more comfy and maybe cheaper. He would rather pull his trailer (18') than mine (16'), and a good thing. As we were loading the '55, the PO told me of a jeep rolling chassis down the road, so we went to take a look. '59 CJ5 with no body, but a 327 and an overdrive, I bought it for $100. :)    BW
Until We Jeep Again...........

Offline johnrb3b

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 906
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • No such thing as too many Jeeps - well maybe
    • View Profile
    • Jeeps and stuff
Re: How far you will go?
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 09:48:34 AM »
Now THAT is what you call serendipity. Classic example.
Go for one thing and find another, perhaps even better.
 :D
1946 2A - - - 1949 me - older than most of my Jeeps
1954 3B - - - 1957 Wagon - - - 2010 4-door JK
past Jeeps ---> '54 3B - no tub --- '59 3B - no engine
past addiction - VW ---> '69 bus --- '70 camper

Offline stony

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 298
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: How far you will go?
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 01:11:28 AM »
I bought a 55 Chevy in Seattle and towed my 56 cj5 3000 miles just to keep it :)
Terry
1949 CJ3A 11159 body 11225 engine 11140
On preservation vs. restoration:Roscoe Lee Brown "the Cowboys" when he met the whores on the trail:"Well, I have the inclination, but not the time”.

Offline PaulS

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: How far you will go?
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 04:08:44 PM »
Flew most of the way, Greyhound for the last hour to get mine.  Had already agreed that the PO would haul it back with me (his truck, rented UHaul trailer)--only had to pay for his round trip gas.  13 hour drive back.

-Paul