The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Best Place for CJ3A Tub  (Read 5943 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Dez

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 83
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • I drive it rusty.
    • View Profile
Best Place for CJ3A Tub
« on: August 05, 2013, 11:54:58 PM »
I need to purchase a New CJ3A Kit, Id prefer to have one of these new and improved mdjuan tubs I keep reading about but I need something close to stock that I plan on modifying for my project jeep so a cheap tub would probably do. Im not trying to make 100% restored 3a, just a very clean grocery getter.. I decided my tub is been bubba'd beyond my repair knowledge. Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 11:59:29 PM by Dez »
Located in Pinedale Wyoming

Offline calvinhunt

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1000
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Let's keep these great American icons alive!
    • View Profile
Re: Best Place for CJ3A Tub
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 03:20:37 PM »
Hi Dez,
� I was expecting you'd have an answer from someone more knowledgeable by now, but since you haven't I'll give it a shot.�
� I restored my 49 CJ-3A 6 years ago using a tub I got off eBay for a really good deal.� It was a few years old (sellers old failed project) when I bought it so it was really an early version.� It had several problems to work through--a lot of cutting, grinding, and welding.� So much so, that had I known, I would have been able to do about the same cutting, grinding, and welding on my old tub and would have ended up with an original.�
� All the MD Juan tubs come into the US through Omix-Ada.� They are sold through the various suppliers/dealers around the country.� They are all the same so just shop for your best deal.� They do have a date stamp on the forward end of the tub.� It's in code on the left vertical member at the firewall (that code was explained by Rommel Juan on the 3A site no too long ago).� So, just try to get a newer one.
� And, I have spoken with Jay, owner of Willys-Overland in Toldeo, Ohio, and he told me that have taken care of all the problems built in by MD Juan, ie., the firewall which is located to far to the rear, removing all the wood from the hat channels and installing crush sleeves instead, etc.� But, Jay's tubs are the most expensive.�
� I suggest that you read the large MD Juan Tub thread under the Tech Talk section of this (3A) site.� It explains a lot.
� I believe that pretty well covers it.�
� Now maybe that more knowledgeable person will chime in with needed corrections to my response.
� Good Luck!!!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 03:39:40 PM by calvinhunt »
Calvin
Santa Clara, Utah

Offline Dez

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 83
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • I drive it rusty.
    • View Profile
Re: Best Place for CJ3A Tub
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 08:23:04 PM »
Quote
Hi Dez,
� I was expecting you'd have an answer from someone more knowledgeable by now, but since you haven't I'll give it a shot.�
� I restored my 49 CJ-3A 6 years ago using a tub I got off eBay for a really good deal.� It was a few years old (sellers old failed project) when I bought it so it was really an early version.� It had several problems to work through--a lot of cutting, grinding, and welding.� So much so, that had I known, I would have been able to do about the same cutting, grinding, and welding on my old tub and would have ended up with an original.�
� All the MD Juan tubs come into the US through Omix-Ada.� They are sold through the various suppliers/dealers around the country.� They are all the same so just shop for your best deal.� They do have a date stamp on the forward end of the tub.� It's in code on the left vertical member at the firewall (that code was explained by Rommel Juan on the 3A site no too long ago).� So, just try to get a newer one.
� And, I have spoken with Jay, owner of Willys-Overland in Toldeo, Ohio, and he told me that have taken care of all the problems built in by MD Juan, ie., the firewall which is located to far to the rear, removing all the wood from the hat channels and installing crush sleeves instead, etc.� But, Jay's tubs are the most expensive.�
� I suggest that you read the large MD Juan Tub thread under the Tech Talk section of this (3A) site.� It explains a lot.
� I believe that pretty well covers it.�
� Now maybe that more knowledgeable person will chime in with needed corrections to my response.
� Good Luck!!!
I did read the MD Juan thread. Im excited to see them rework their dies to reproduce a closer matching tub to original. My Tub isn't in really bad shape just every 6-8 inches there is a wrinkle or bend and when I set the tub on a level floor its tweaked all the way around. Which would make sense since the frame was broken in a few spots. I really just want to jump in my jeep and head to the mountain
Located in Pinedale Wyoming

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Best Place for CJ3A Tub
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 10:23:03 AM »
Dez, I haven't replied as we have been working way too hard out here on the road. Today we are rained out so I get a chance to catch up. 14 hour drivng days are no fun, not that we exceed our log book hours..lol.

First, what was your location again? Might want to put it in your signature...I thought you were looking for a good used tub, but if you are looking at MD Juan. location is the most important thing on choosing a dealer, to save freight charges.. You'll get the same product from everybody nowadays except for the WO tub which they should have to do less and less to nowadays. And I am sure you can request they leave out the hat channel wood. Installing crush sleeves is a matter of drilling large holes thru the floor and hat channel, sliding in a tube, and welding it in. If the wood is not there you won't have to pull the hats off the floor to do it. All the other corrections Jay and Co do should be taken care of already by all the improvements Rommel has been telling us about. With your frame damage I would expect to have to do some custom fitting in any case, unless you have a new frame that meets factory specs in all three dimensions.

You may want to PM Dan from MD Juan, he is here on the site regularly. He could tell you who your closest distributor will be, and I believe he offered to custom build a tub for anyone here that needed one.

If your tub is wrinkled but solid, it will be fine for someone's trail rider...don't scrap it for certain. You also may need some minor components from it for the new one.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:25:22 AM by F_Bill »
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline Dez

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 83
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • I drive it rusty.
    • View Profile
Re: Best Place for CJ3A Tub
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 02:33:10 PM »
Ill take pictures of the Tub tonight and Tell me what you guys think. I could probably fix most of it with patch panels but I may be dang near close in patch panels to just replace the tub for the same cash.

I am in Pinedale, Wyoming. If anyone is wondering :)
Located in Pinedale Wyoming

Offline Dez

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 83
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • I drive it rusty.
    • View Profile
Re: Best Place for CJ3A Tub
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 12:04:57 AM »











Located in Pinedale Wyoming