The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Tightsteer report  (Read 2805 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Tightsteer report
« on: June 12, 2013, 09:43:27 PM »
At the Picnic, I won a tightsteer. I put it in my '53 and lets just say, I'll be getting another for my '49.  ;)

It turned my already great driving '53 into a superb driver!
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline calvinhunt

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1000
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Let's keep these great American icons alive!
    • View Profile
Re: Tightsteer report
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 11:50:11 PM »
Hear Hear!� I posted a similar success story last summer when I installed a TightSteer on the 47 CJ-2A I'm keeping for a friend (you've seen that Jeep in some of my posts in past years).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 11:50:34 PM by calvinhunt »
Calvin
Santa Clara, Utah

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Tightsteer report
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 12:01:26 AM »
And another success story! I put one in the 55 CJ-5 and I won't go back...the 51 will probably get one, but first I need to get it put together....
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Tightsteer report
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 10:48:10 AM »
I bought one before I even had my Jeep back together and it is still sitting on the shelf in my garage. I replaced virtually every component of the steering box during the rebuild. I wanted to make sure I knew what "normal" felt like before installing the Tightsteer so I could tell if it made a difference. I had pretty much forgotten about it but looks like the time has come to install it. Thanks for the reminder Nate!
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Tightsteer report
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 07:36:56 PM »
Yes they do a good job. I made three of them, one for me and two for two friends.

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Tightsteer report
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 08:03:16 PM »
I've driven 100 or so miles now using the TightSteer. Can't say it's really that much of an improvement. I'm sure if it was an old�sloppy steering box it would make a world of difference. Since mine has pretty much all new components it really wasn't worth it...yet. That may change as the internals wear down a bit and I can take up any slack by adjusting the TightSteer.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 08:03:57 PM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Tightsteer report
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 08:52:51 PM »
Yes, it would not make much difference on a rebuilt box but it will help to keep even wear on the worm and sector.

Offline Quebec Jeep

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1193
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
Re: Tightsteer report
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 11:29:28 AM »
Mine is in place now. Hope to test it soon.  :-/ :'( I still have a lot to do before then.

For those who wonder how it's look like:
I'm jeepcoholic!

Offline Tumbleweed

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 516
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 49 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Tightsteer report
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 04:43:03 PM »
That thing is huge! - ooops - forgot to shrink it down to size. Looks like it is close to the fender - were there any fit issues? I might get one for my 53 wagon.
Thx

Tumbleweed
49 CJ3A - "Smokey"
53 Willys Wagon - "Wylie"

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Tightsteer report
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 08:41:32 PM »
After very minimal gains I pulled mine off and installed it on a '46 2A with EXTREMELY sloppy steering. It initially seemed to reduce play from 1/2 turn to rough 1/4 turn. I was about to take it for a test drive (and my first ever drive in that particular Jeep) but the clutch rod broke the first time I stepped on the pedal to put it in gear. New clutch rod on order. Will report back when I have more info.

Admittedly, I do feel a very slight but noticeable difference in the slop in my freshly rebuilt 3A steering box now that the Tightsteer is gone.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 08:44:36 PM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi