The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Jeep Tractor trailer  (Read 3658 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Jeep Tractor trailer
« on: June 03, 2011, 01:22:33 PM »
I have loaded the Jeep on the trailer to see how it looks and it loaded and unloaded easy.

I was asked to bring the tractor to a friends house to level some ground for a pool. I hooked the trailer up and setup the tractor with the equipment to do the job. Then I started to load the tractor and �:o GEEZ, I just almost lifted the rear wheels of the truck off the ground. Got it loaded and strapped down and hit the road. Hmmm, just a little tail heavy but it's ok.

Got to his house and unloaded the tractor and �:o hmm, did the trailer just move backwards, uhh, yep.

Mental note, it's time to make the adjustable stands for the rear of the trailer.

Got to the road going up the gravel subdivision road and �:o HOLY COW, it's spinning the tires and takes two runs at the hill to get up it.

Mental note, unload tractor at bottom of hill.

Ain't life fun! �;D

EDIT: just did a test run with the Jeep and it pulls much nicer. It still slips going up the gravel hill but not as bad as the tractor did.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 03:37:04 PM by Carlsjeep »

Offline jamesr

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 343
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • If it's not broke, it's not used.
    • View Profile
Re: Jeep Tractor trailer
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 11:24:58 AM »
you need about 10% of the load weight on the tongue.  Adjust the load for and aft to acomplish this.  Otherwise you can either have no grip for the front wheels (turning is a problem) or no traction for forward movement on various surfaces. Jim
Home of the 4-wheel drive chicken coup.

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Jeep Tractor trailer
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 05:01:15 PM »
Yep, your right. There was no problem with the steering with the tractor or Jeep on the trailer. Just to make things work better I may get a load equalizing hitch kit.

I'm pretty sure I had more than 10% on the tongue coming home with the tractor and for sure with the Jeep.

The biggest issue was the rear of the trailer going down to much when loading the tractor or the Jeep so rear stands will be forth coming.

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Jeep Tractor trailer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 07:59:01 PM »
An equalizing hitch will be really helpful with a marginal tow vehicle.I used one for years with a F-250 that was a real lightweight suspension wise. It helps out a bunch if you tend to take too much weight off the front end with a loaded trailer.I bought my setup at several different yard sales, got the hitch at one and the arms at others, probably spent $50.00 on it all.  . I would also recommend chocking that trailer when loading. It sounds like you may have lifted the back wheels of the Ranger enough to lose traction,which makes for funny videos but is really dangerous on any sort of hill.....

You can build jack stands into the ramps if they are hinged around a rod attached to the back of the trailer.. make them slightly shorter than they need to be to touch the ground, that way you can still get the ramps back up after loading.

Four wheel brakes on that trailer would also be a great idea if you don't have them already.  Use an adjustable brake controller so you don't skid the wheels when empty.

What was the tractor you loaded up?
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Jeep Tractor trailer
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 08:43:27 PM »
The tractor is a Nortrac NT254 with a front end loader. With the FEL and a piece of equipment it probably weighs around 3000 lb and the Jeep only weighs about 2000 lb. I had the trailer loaded with tongue weight but just enough on the run into Lou. Ky and I set the tongue weight by moving the tractor back and forth and watching the truck move up and down. I moved it forward more going home and it towed much better.

Yes, the equalizing hitch would solve any problems. I have brakes on one axle and they work real good. When I push the pedal enough to turn the controller on I can feel the brakes slow me down a little. I have them adjusted for a light drag when braking and then I can use the manual control to get more effort if I want. I tried that a few times and you could feel the extra pull while braking. Of course, when I brake hard with the truck brakes you don't feel the trailer brakes working.

I'm going to make a test run on a hilly road to see how the brakes do before I do any long haul runs. I may put brakes on the other axle if I think it needs them.

There was to much traffic for me to try a panic stop but I will try it with the Jeep loaded some time.

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Jeep Tractor trailer
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 10:15:55 AM »
Looked up your Nortrac, shipping weight on a 4WD one is 3200 lbs without the loader which probably adds another 400-800 lbas. Plus fuel and any tire ballast it may have.   Nice machine by the looks of it, how do you like it?

You would be surprised what a second brake axle will do for you loaded.. Probably would cost another $150 or so to add brakes to it, if you can afford it it will help out a bunch on those heavily loaded trips, and it would also be 50 state legal that way.

Probably the most important equipment for trailer towing is a safe and careful driver, and it sounds like we have that well covered already. :)
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline jamesr

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 343
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • If it's not broke, it's not used.
    • View Profile
Re: Jeep Tractor trailer
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 11:11:06 AM »
Measure the ball from the ground up, without the trailer attached.  Hook up the trailer, add the load, and see what the new ball height is.  Move the load for and aft to get 10% down or so.  If you use an equalizer, (torsion bars) they simply transfer ball weight toward the front, making a more level ride.  Don't raise it more than unloaded ball height.  To much tongue weight and the trailer will push the tow vehicle down a hill, and cause a fishtail that only The Lord (or manually engaging the trailer brakes) can save you from! Been there, done that!  5# of sweat lost and new shorts required in .5 mile of a 6% downgrade!  Jim
Home of the 4-wheel drive chicken coup.

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Jeep Tractor trailer
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 11:25:17 AM »
My tractor was bought new by my friend in 2001 and he used it until 2005 when I bought it. I have used it very hard but not abused it and I really like it. It's made by Jinma in China. My manual lists the weight at 2469 lb. Add 800 lb for the FEL, and 300 lb for the box grader and your looking at about 3569 lb  :o. Add to that the trailer weight 1500 lb = 5069 lb and now I am at the trailer gross weight of 5000 lb.

In view of that I think it did very well and there was very little wag to deal with going and none coming home with more tongue weight. I am seriously considering brakes for the rear axle along with the equalizing hitch.

In the past I pulled a 18' trailer overloaded using a 3/4 ton van. On down hill runs it was extremely dangerous and difficult to handle but I made it. I will never do that again. That is why I am being so careful about how I outfit the trailer. As I said, the Jeep is a piece of cake but the tractor is a serious issue because it's maxed out.


Offline Gunslinger

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 942
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Re: Jeep Tractor trailer
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 11:06:49 AM »
Hey Carl,
I think the problem here is that you don't have enough truck.  I'd check the load capacity on the Ranger, generally speaking they are set up for about 5000 lbs max tow capacity.  That would require 500 lbs tounge weight and most light trucks with factory hitches are set up for 250lbs tounge weight.  Sounds like your at Max capacity + with that rig, 3000 lb tractor and a minimum of 1500 lbs empty weight for the trailer and your right at the limit plus.  

If your having trouble getting up the gravel hill that tells me the truck is too light for the load.  I do a lot of towing with my tree farm, I've got a Chevy silverado 1500 4x4 with a 10,000 hitch and capacity.  That will pull Bobcat skid steer with a tree spade or a 24 foot trailer with trees just about anywhere you want to go, and more important, it will stop it when you put on the brakes.

And choking the back of the trailer during loading is a big absolute..

Todd
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Jeep Tractor trailer
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 10:53:48 PM »
Yes, the Ranger is rated at about 3500 lb gross trailer weight. It's maxed out with the tractor.

I think adding brakes to the rear axle and getting an equalizer hitch may be a good move. It's not dangerous, just needs careful driving.