The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: River bottom swamps hills and road  (Read 4944 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
River bottom swamps hills and road
« on: February 26, 2011, 04:52:51 PM »
Been getting over this killer cold I've had for two weeks now and felt a little better. I asked Annabel if she wanted to do a little mudding and she said YES. I took her around the fence line of our small acreage and then headed down to the West River road to the river bottoms there. I took her down a rocky hill with concrete scrap and stuff and then into the flats with the swampy areas in low range, low gear 4whl drive. We went as far up river as we could until we got to some down trees. I backed her up the hill side and turned around and headed back down into the low swampy flats in the ponding water and mud. We wallowed around in the muck, mud and underbrush until we got to the dirt road that led to the rivers edge and followed that to the river. When I got to the river and started turning around we began to slip and slide and spin the tires so with some masterful maneuvers we were able to extricate ourselves from the mud trap we had entered. We then headed up the mud road spinning our way to the top of the hill and to the entrance of the area. We then got on the road and into high range 2 whl and proceeded to drive about 40 mph to sling as much mud off as possible. After a short road trip of a few miles we headed home and I then blew the trash out of the radiator core.

I promised her a bath in the spring when I give the tractor a bath but she said she was enjoying the trip through the mud and didn't mind a little dirt at all.  

Offline jamesr

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 343
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • If it's not broke, it's not used.
    • View Profile
Re: River bottom swamps hills and road
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 09:41:07 AM »
Good story, and thats why we do it!  Jim
Home of the 4-wheel drive chicken coup.

Offline calvinhunt

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1000
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Let's keep these great American icons alive!
    • View Profile
Re: River bottom swamps hills and road
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 12:37:16 AM »
Carl,
I think I remember you saying you had a top for your Jeep.  You must have unless it's much warmer there than in Southern Utah.  I know that Jim has year round "jeepin" weather in Southern Arizona, but I don't.  I do take my Jeep out for a drive on a warmer day each month just to keep it oiled and the battery charged but that's not a joy ride.  Still makes me feel good and brings on a yearning for warmer days.  
Calvin
Santa Clara, Utah

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: River bottom swamps hills and road
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 09:15:54 AM »
Yep, have a top and doors and it keeps the briar's from slapping me in the face as I forge through the brush. I drive the Jeep everyday it's not raining no matter how cold or snowing it is. The rain gets past the windshield and drips down on my legs and feet so until I get that fixed I seldom drive in the rain.


Offline jamesr

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 343
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • If it's not broke, it's not used.
    • View Profile
Re: River bottom swamps hills and road
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 09:46:10 AM »
Carl, Calvin, Our Jeep'n weather is 21 degrees this morning, and it snowed on and off yesterday, however only enough to turn things white for a couple of hours.   Dec. Jan and Feb are cold months here (3700 ft.) so I too have a top and doors and a rebuilt Harrison heater.  However, it is more common for the days to be in the 60-70 range, and above freezing each night. Most of the storms that hit Calvin, are North of us, but once in awhile one comes through big enough to get us both.  That is when I appreciate the top and doors.  Sometimes I wish we could get 2 feet of snow, just to remember what the Willys would do, and enough winter rain to play in the mud as Calvin did.  Jim
Home of the 4-wheel drive chicken coup.

Offline jamesr

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 343
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • If it's not broke, it's not used.
    • View Profile
Re: River bottom swamps hills and road
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 09:49:56 AM »
I meant to say that Carl played in the mud.  Jim
Home of the 4-wheel drive chicken coup.

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: River bottom swamps hills and road
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 10:45:56 AM »
 ;D Jim, I have been wishing for a 1 or 2 foot snow this winter to test my jeep in. I have the feeling she would just plow right through it with little effort.

I can remember some of the weekend winter field maneuvers we did in the NG with the M38. As much as I hated winter and snow I liked driving the Jeeps in the snow and mud. They have their limits but if your careful you can go places we were never meant to go and still have fun doing it.

After I almost got stuck last Sunday I thought, I better start carrying boots with me when I do stuff like this. Maybe a winch would be a good idea too.

Offline jamesr

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 343
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • If it's not broke, it's not used.
    • View Profile
Re: River bottom swamps hills and road
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 10:05:26 AM »
Why do we consider this stuff after the fact?  We just get carried away!  Jim
Home of the 4-wheel drive chicken coup.

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: River bottom swamps hills and road
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 12:05:49 PM »
 ;D It's kind of like impulse buying. You look at the field of mud and think, WOW lets go. Caution gets thrown to the wind.

Offline mud pie

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 143
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Once a Marine....
    • View Profile
Re: River bottom swamps hills and road
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 01:39:45 PM »
Reminds me of when I was a kid....my dad gave me a 1954 M38A1....complete with fording equipment. He told me NOT to go underwater. Guess what I did ALL THE TIME....especially if girls or school kids were on the beach....

One time I hit a silt bed...and got buried to the frame.  3 days later we finally got it out. Salt water ate the exhaust and the floor boards, but it started and I drove it home !!
1953 CJ-3A

Offline jamesr

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 343
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • If it's not broke, it's not used.
    • View Profile
Re: River bottom swamps hills and road
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 09:50:59 AM »
And where is that M38A1 now?  Tell me you still have it!  Complete with snorkle!  Jim
Home of the 4-wheel drive chicken coup.

Offline mud pie

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 143
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Once a Marine....
    • View Profile
Re: River bottom swamps hills and road
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 05:27:50 PM »
Don't I wish...while I was in the Marines, my dad got transferred to Texas. He sent me a letter (remember writing those ?) saying he sold my Jeep....to my friend !!  In that letter was no check, nothing....

When I came home one weekend, my friend said he sold it about 2 weeks after he bought it....bastid..  :)
1953 CJ-3A