The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: CJ-3B 57348 69050  (Read 2140 times)

Offline oldtime

Re: CJ-3B 57348 69050
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2019, 10:23:07 AM »
Yes indeed... What a great feeling it is !

Offline duffer

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2019, 12:09:28 PM »
Congratulations!

Hopefully I will have my B back on the road/trail soon.
48 2A, 49 3A, 51 Wagon, 55 3B, 57 FC 150, 57 Wagon, 60 FC 170, 68 CJ 5, 2012 JKUR

John, Bozeman, MT

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2019, 12:13:01 PM »
Yes!  Well done!
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Zach S

• Willys Fan
  • Trying to build a 3B!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2019, 03:16:57 PM »
Fellas! I had a big weekend. I took Friday off to finish up some wiring and get the body back together, then I figured out that the spring in the hand brake drum decided to pop off at some point during the installation and had to deal with that.

We took it for it's first drive on a major highway Saturday night, it was so much fun. Then Sunday morning I took it for a 10 mile drive around town at around 9am. It was so much fun.

I do have a few problems, the brakes need work and the transmission leaks from the shifter tower. I'm going to make a new gasket for the shifter tower and see if that helps any. I'll adjust the brakes tomorrow night and try to get it out on the road again.

Offline Zach S

• Willys Fan
  • Trying to build a 3B!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2019, 12:23:25 PM »
Hey folks! I meant to post this week with some updates, but it's been a crazy week at work and everywhere. I did go to the Southeast Willys Get Together last weekend which was amazing, I'll post some pictures soon, and I ordered a bunch of new parts for my ignition.

I did find a few cool things at the Get Together last weekend. I've been on the hunt for a skid plate, wiper motor and radiator shroud (that didn't fit) for a while now. Found them, I also picked up a few steering boxes and a really cool Beebe Brothers hand crank winch. The winch is soaking in Evaporust right now and I'm going to do a full restoration on it.

We also decided that it was time to get the old random orbital sander out and get that ugly red primer off of the Jeep and figure out what is under it.

We did find a lot of bondo, but also, what I believe to be the original blue paint. The Orange was added later, but it is super thick and I really like it.

I'm planning on painting it with some boiled linseed oil this weekend and keeping the patina look. Or, I might just rattle can it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 12:40:42 PM by Zach S »

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2019, 03:46:13 PM »
Nice score on parts!  Another thread on a manual winch restoration (for inspiration):
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/sasgen-derrick-winch-restoration_topic45465.html?KW=winch

That will be a fun project for sure!
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Zach S

• Willys Fan
  • Trying to build a 3B!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2019, 08:46:50 AM »
Nice score on parts!  Another thread on a manual winch restoration (for inspiration):
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/sasgen-derrick-winch-restoration_topic45465.html?KW=winch

That will be a fun project for sure!

That post actually inspired me to try to find one of these winches, It should be fun! It's stripped and I might paint it tonight.

Offline Zach S

• Willys Fan
  • Trying to build a 3B!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2019, 09:49:59 AM »
Hey folks! So, this weekend was really fun. I started off by taking a drive up to Valle Crucis, I had planned on taking some back roads and avoiding highways, but I ended up missing my turn and did a bit of highway driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4655UZCliFs

The jeep handled perfectly until I broke the steering damper mount. You can hear the bug clunk at around 27 minutes in.

I also spent yesterday finishing up the headlight wiring, I put 2 relays in, wired it all and it seems to work like it should.

I need to fix the steering damper and deal with my exhaust leak this week.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 01:56:12 PM by Zach S »

Offline Zach S

• Willys Fan
  • Trying to build a 3B!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2019, 09:21:36 AM »
Hey fellas! It's been a little while since I've gotten any work done on the 3B, it's the start of our cold season and it's been in the 20's every morning.

I did make it out to the shop to do a few things this weekend. Last week I ordered a new exhaust down pipe to replace the old one that had a quarter size hole in it and welded it into the exhaust Saturday morning. It sounds so much better and it seems to have fixed the miss it was having.

I also got a new steering damper, but I'm waiting on the temperature to warm up a bit so I can paint the brackets.

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2019, 10:41:02 AM »
Zach,
Nice work so far!

And as an aside, I CAN SEE ALL THESE IMAGES!! 

The weather here changed rather abruptly.  Hoping for some milder weather to get some items done as well.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Zach S

• Willys Fan
  • Trying to build a 3B!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2020, 10:48:14 AM »
Hey fellas! I know it's been a while, but I have a few updates on the 3B! It's been a crazy few months, the weather is unseasonably warm, I took my first vacation in a few years and I'm about 2 weeks into a new job.

First off, I'm about 90% done with the Beebe Brothers winch. I need a few lock rings and I need to make a crank for it.

I can't wait to get it mounted on the front of the 3B.

I also installed a new steering damper to replace the one I broke (or thought I broke) a few months ago.

I also picked up a gear set a few months ago that I decided to start cleaning up.

The gears are really pitted inside the transfer case, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I may just clean it up and sell it.

Offline Zach S

• Willys Fan
  • Trying to build a 3B!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2020, 12:47:41 PM »
Hey folks! It seems like winter has finally arrived in Western North Carolina and I keep running across new projects. I took a trip down to Johnson City last weekend and picked up a L-head and gear-set that's in pretty rough shape.

It's been so cold outside I haven't been able to motivate myself to get it out of the truck, so it's living there until the temperature gets up above freezing.

I have a '44 MB that I've been collecting parts for and I think the engine and a decent gear-set are the last items I need for it. I'm also thinking about swapping the F-head that's in the 3B currently for this engine, it's developed a knock near the rear of the engine so we'll see.

Offline Zach S

• Willys Fan
  • Trying to build a 3B!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2020, 09:15:40 AM »
Hey folks! It's been a while since I've posted any updates on the 3B, I've been busy at work and then COVID hit. Good fun. I finally got away from life last weekend and spent some time with the jeep.

I had originally planned to take it out Saturday morning for drive up 421 to Old 421 and through Zionville, Cove Creek and Valle Crucis. It was going to be a nice drive, but the ignition coil had different plans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HloFqp8CFiA

I had a bit of good luck, it completely failed about 1/10 of a mile from the shop. I managed to get it back to the shop and had to spend 20 minutes in the local autoplace (napa didn't have one in stock) explaining to a kid what an old style ignition coil is. It runs so much better now, it's miss has cleared up and I don't have to use the choke as much when firing it up. It's a different engine, I'm happy.

I also changed around some of the wiring, I'm getting ready to put a horn in it and sort that out.

I've decided to spend a few hours with it each night this week, tonight is going to be maintenance and cleaning night.

Offline Squishymonster

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2020, 03:22:59 PM »
Man that had to be disappointing :D I was all excited to watch the dash cam footage. I subscribed to your channel just in case anything else gets posted. It looks like you are in a nice area.

I recently installed a gopro "dash mount", similar to your placement, but I need to get my reliability up quite a bit more before I feel good about going on any adventures.

I've been debating buying one of those little electric folding scooters from BestBuy and keeping it strapped down in the bed just in case I get stranded several miles from home. I wonder if one would fit in the toolbox...

It looks like our jeeps are in similar condition, so that's inspiring to me. I see quite a lot of already fully restored rides around the web, or people who are doing the bottom up restoration all in one shot. I decided I wanted to keep things usable as much as possible.

Anyway, I hope to see more dash footage from your adventures if you make any.

Offline Chris P

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2020, 10:55:50 AM »
Thanks for sharing. I am quite new here so first time I see your posts. You are doing a nice job with your jeep and mostly having a lot of fun! I decided to do a full frame off restoration at once so I haven't driven my jeep for four years now.

With your last video I felt very much represented. There were so many times that I had planned a nice drive on the jeep and just few minutes later....pufff! She decided not to move any longer. It is frustrating but also the rule of the game with this hobby!.

Keep sharing with us your story!
Regards,
Chris

1943 Ford G.P.W (located in Argentina)
1944 Willys MB (located in Argentina)
1948 Willys CJ2A (located in Mexico)
1956 Willys CJ3B (located in Mexico)
New: 1957 Willys CJ5 (located in Mexico)