The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: my new but old 1950 cj3a  (Read 175 times)

Offline MikeP

• Willys Fan
  • if it dont work hit it with a hammer
    • View Profile
my new but old 1950 cj3a
« on: July 13, 2019, 08:20:46 PM »
well i picked up my jeep today and first thing i did was check the battery at the local cap store and all good and then i gave the front part a bath and then i proceeded to see if the block was stuck and well the video shows my results (i guess i cant add video :( )
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 08:26:00 PM by Roughneck20 »
1950 willys cj3a

Offline MikeP

• Willys Fan
  • if it dont work hit it with a hammer
    • View Profile
Re: my new but old 1950 cj3a
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 09:46:52 PM »
so spent all day trying to get it started but battery died so bought a charger and now waiting also need more parts got alot removed today and the body is just as bad as i thought and probably worse and im not sure what direction to go with either buy a new tub and be done with it or find a tub on craigslist or buy all the pieces and either try welding it myself or pay someone to weld it for me but at what point will the cost of that justify a new tub etc
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 09:51:10 PM by Roughneck20 »
1950 willys cj3a

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: my new but old 1950 cj3a
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 10:01:19 PM »
Yes it can be a tough decision....new tub or fix what you have.
I fixed what I'm pretty sure most would consider a complete hulk of a tub. But I had the tools and experience to extensively rebuild it. I was able to save many parts but in the end had to fabricate the complete floors, wheel well sides, all new tail light panels, and 80 percent of the sides. I made forms for the wheel arch lips, and formed the drain holes in the front sections of the side panels. I saved the cowl but had to buy a tool box. It took a couple years.
Getting a new tub is almost instantaneous, but you'll still have to drill a bunch of holes, add brackets (parking brake perhaps, and the top frame sockets, among many other things) but still, it will be rust free and not terribly much work. Good luck in your decision. It is amazing what can be saved with grit and determination.
Dave Miles
Presently: � � � � � � � �
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7