The front axle has some good news, and bad.�

I sandblasted, then primed it.� Once I pulled the differential cover, I discovered the first challenge.� The spider gears were missing some teeth�

I ordered some parts from Walcks, then quickly studied up on how to take the axle apart.� It's really is amazing how simple this axle is.
I removed the axle retainers.� This allows you to pull the axle shafts out of the axle housing. I then removed the king pins.
I removed the old axle seals and pulled the knuckle housing off.� I cleaned everything up.� This is when I discovered the next problem�

These are the king pin bearings. They are toast.� There were no king pins shims, thus no proper preload.� Clearly, replacement bearings need to be ordered.
The axles and knuckle bearings look new, along with these bearings and cups�

It�s strange to find many parts in �like new� condition, and others that are broken and neglected.
Time to re-assemble this axle.� This is such a greasy job. It�s hard to take photos of the process.� I removed the ring gear from the carrier.� I removed this pin�

�
This is when I discovered that the ring gear and carrier had to be removed from the housing before I could get at the spider gears. Once out of the differential housing, the
large retainer pin will slide out, releasing the spider gears.� I pulled the old gears out, then slid the new set in without any difficulty. I re-inserted the pins, greased up the bearings and cups, re-installed the ring gear, then reset the carrier into the differential housing.� I tightened the bearing caps to spec�.


Time to set the new king pin bearings.� I greased them up real good, then slipped the knuckle housing into position.� I have the old style knuckle housings, so I need to add shims to both the upper and lower king pins.� There was quite a bit of trial and error.� I had to installed and remove the king pins four times before I reached the proper preload.� I settled on 10 lbs of pressure with a fish scale.� You would think the other side would need the same amount of shims.� Not in my case.� I had to set, then remove the other side three times before I reached my goal.

I installed the new knuckle seals, then slid in the axle shafts.� I temporarily reset the axle retainers until I�m ready to install the brake backing plates.� This repair took me longer than I thought it would.� 6 hours.� This included the cleaning.� I hate cleaning.
