The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Hawk's CJ3A 13655  (Read 224905 times)

0 Members and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Hawk's CJ3A 13655
« on: April 02, 2013, 02:01:41 PM »
1949 Willys CJ3A #13655

This may be a slow transformation, and perhaps a refurbishment verses an all out restoration.

This Willys is for my wife Rachel. She wants a "Thrasher".  Definition: A fairly correct Willys she can take to the market, or the mountains, and not have to worry about scratching the paint.

Her demands are few.  She wants it to be painted a very pale yellow and she wants one of those yellow Smiley Face tire covers. So, when you all start thinking I've lost my mind, this is why.

Here it is...






My wife calls it "Whitey". Well, I guess the wheels are kind of white.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 08:44:12 AM by athawk11 »
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 02:06:21 PM »
1949 Willys CJ3A #13655: Entry 2



Whitey doesn't have a warm place to rest so it's been a little challenging getting the project going...








My first step is to get this running and stopping.  I need this to move under its own power.  If I can get it to move around my property, it should make it a bit easier.
 
Warmer weather comes and goes.  I was able to assess the condition a little further. Area below the homemade gas tank...









Here is the tank.  Guy did a pretty good job, but it's just not going to work for me...




I repaired an old tank from my other 3A and installed it.  The fuel line and the old pump were no good.

I installed a glass top pump. Pretty sure it's not correct for a 3A, but again, this Willys is going to have a big yellow smiley face on it.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 01:46:02 PM by athawk11 »
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 02:09:19 PM »
1949 Willys CJ3A #13655: Entry 3

Maiden voyage.

https://youtu.be/-GDt8J8eENw


Now that I can move her around, it's time to see what I can do to make it safe ...and pale yellow.

The floors are a disaster. (See the photos in the last entry) I hooked up with a local Willys guy named Wally.  He had a full front floor panel that he is willing to sell.  (We are negotiating the price)  I may be able to do something with a new floor panel.  I consider it the "spine" of the Willys tub.  If you have the spine, you at least have a starting point.

Time to find out what condition the rest of the panels are in.  I want to offer a tip...A really quick and easy way to remove all the bondo from your tub...Air hammer with a chisel attachment.

Photo of the Willys after all the bondo has been removed.  See it all over the concrete?




I've easily removed 30 lbs of the stuff.  There are some pretty rough areas on the side panels, but surprisingly, very manageable regarding rust through.
 It's just been beat to crap.

Other sheet metal parts like the fenders, windshield and grille, look to be fairly easy to repair.  The hood is questionable. I've decided to start with the tub.

Decision time...New tub?  Repair the existing?  18 gauge steel for the repairs, or 16 gauge repairs?  Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 01:40:36 PM by athawk11 »
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 06:55:11 PM »
Tim, I enjoyed following your other jeep revival on the 2A page. This should be fun to watch too!

Do you know if that old fuel pump was original? I've never seen a shallow dome top like that.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 07:13:07 PM »
Nate,

Thanks for taking a look.
 
This is the first fuel pump of this style that I've seen on a 3A.  I'm enclined to think it's not original.  I posted the photo in hope that someone would comment on it.  I know you've been working on gathering information about the engine bolt ons.  I figure you'll have an answer before I do. ;)

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Bedrock

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 55
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 07:13:29 PM »
That is a great thread, Tim.   Don't stop.   I'm looking forward to reading more about your work with the "Thrasher."  

My 3A came from the PO with a shallow top fuel pump just like the one you show in the photo.  I know it is not correct for my 1951 3A, but I'm not sure what it is correct for, if anything.


George

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 07:25:52 PM »
Quote
Nate,

Thanks for taking a look.
 
This is the first fuel pump of this style that I've seen on a 3A. �I'm enclined to think it's not original. �I posted the photo in hope that someone would comment on it. �I know you've been working on gathering information about the engine bolt ons. �I figure you'll have an answer before I do. ;)

Tim


The '49s are funny. Some have 2A engines, some don't. Willys was just using up the old 2A stuff that would fit. Does this one have the brass foot with a 2A engine? Hard to tell from you pic. Are your hood blocks off centered too? The ones on my '49 are because that is how the 2A hoods were.

Can you take a picture of the inside of the pump with the to off it? I'd be curious to see what the inside looks like. I'm not an expert in the bolt on engine parts, though I do try to play one on tv. �;D

BTW, a glass bowl is correct for a '49. That is what mine had on it originally.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 07:28:54 PM by garage_gnome »
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline gmcjr

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 168
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Even a blind hog finds a acorn every now and then.
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 07:27:46 PM »
Looks like a good start!!!!!! �[smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

You do good work,  this'll be interesting!!!

Thrasher huh? I reckon my lil' ole willys can relate � :)
Gary in N. Texas
51 CJ-3A (old Trusty)
52 Ford 8n (ugly duckling)
46Farmall B (old Rusty)
18 Wrangler Jk

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 07:46:14 PM »
Hey, check this out....



These are just a few of the bondo chunks I knocked off.  I don't want to offend anyone here. Quite frankly, I'm all for using body filler to smooth out a dimple or 'slight' depression, but seriously, these chunks are a 1/2" thick.

Just thought you guys would get a kick out of it.  :)

Tim
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 01:42:45 PM by athawk11 »
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 08:32:53 PM »
George, gmcjr, thanks for looking in.  I always appreciate your comments and thoughts.

Nate, this is a hodge podge.  The engine is not original to this Willys, so I have no idea how it was originally set up.  But now it has a 3A engine block...2A front engine plate...mounted on a 3A frame...no brass foot.  Looks like an 'S' shaped home made bracket.  You can kind of see it here in this photo...




For those of you that have interest, here is a photo of the brass foot that Nate is refering to.  This allows a 2A engine with 2A front plate to be mounted on the 3A frame...and vice versa...3A engine and plate to be mounted on a 2A frame...





« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 01:47:38 PM by athawk11 »
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 08:38:09 PM »
Yeah, I'd say bubba did some work to that jeep!

I've seen bondo like that. Kind of funny the stuff bubba does to make his jeeps look nice.  8-)  ;D
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Bedrock

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 55
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 09:47:05 PM »
Tim, I had some bondo that thick on one of the rear fenders of my Model A when I first bought it.  One morning I drove down to the cluster mailboxes to get my newspaper and I heard this rattle coming from the back of the car.  I got out, walked back, and a whole slab of bondo that thick had come loose on one side and was rattling like crazy.  I pulled it off and it must have weighed a pound or two.  I could hardly believe it.  That fender ended up getting replaced.  

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 05:47:05 AM »
Here's another "You might be a Jeeper if...." :

"When preparing your wife's ride, even though it may end up as a bit of a salad with a yellow smiley face, you decide that authenticity trumps safety and immediately remove her roll bar." �;D ;D ;D

Good thread Tim. I enjoyed the 2A journal and am glad to see the 3A sequel.
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 09:55:25 AM »
Ryan...seriously...have you ever considered Willys standup comedy?  You always seem to come up with stuff that gets a good laugh out of me!!

No offense to anyone here with my next comment.  It's a personal preference.  I just don't think a flat fender Willys looks right with a roll bar.  The removal of them has been the first thing I do.  Speaking of that, does anyone have a use for 2 old roll bars!! ;)

Tim
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 01:48:29 PM by athawk11 »
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 10:04:24 AM »
Can't agree with you more Tim! Roll bars on flattys just doesn't look right.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted