The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Stryker CJ3A  (Read 13254 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Birddog7

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 91
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Willys
    • View Profile
Stryker CJ3A
« on: June 18, 2014, 09:43:27 AM »
I just found that I never really started a post on my 3A. So here's Strkyer. Since I got it I have removed the the roll bar, changed the seat covers to black, changing the wheel color, added hood blocks. In progress I am painting the windshield frame black and fixing it too. Thanks to athawk11 taking measurments for me I am adding M38 canvas brackets for my canvas top. I have a lot of Bubba things to fix. (Story later) Right now my issue is the front axle. When change fluids I found this. Enough rambling, to much morning coffee and E-willys.
 

Have a great day. To the shop to remove front axle.
Birddog7
1945 CJ2A
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1956 CJ3B

Offline James P

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 78
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Stryker CJ3A
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 09:30:13 PM »
This proves no matter how finished a Willys is when you buy it it still is not done.  8-)
1952 CJ3A

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Stryker CJ3A
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 10:11:36 PM »
It's about time.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your Willys.   

It's never a good thing to find bits of metal in a drain pan.  Being the eternal optimist, maybe it was accidentally left behind when the PO rebuilt the differential.  Here's hoping for a good outcome!

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Birddog7

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 91
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Willys
    • View Profile
Re: Stryker CJ3A
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 09:28:56 AM »
3rd try, having trouble posting I think posting to many pic's at one time. Here's what I found in the front axle housing.

Birddog7
1945 CJ2A
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1956 CJ3B

Offline Birddog7

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 91
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Willys
    • View Profile
Re: Stryker CJ3A
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 09:32:28 AM »
more pic's

Birddog7
1945 CJ2A
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1956 CJ3B

Offline Birddog7

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 91
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Willys
    • View Profile
Re: Stryker CJ3A
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 09:33:40 AM »

Birddog7
1945 CJ2A
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1956 CJ3B

Offline Birddog7

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 91
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Willys
    • View Profile
Re: Stryker CJ3A
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 09:43:01 AM »
I could not find ANYTHING wrong with Ring & Pinion or bearings. It looks like the PO left something in there to rattle around or never cleaned it the first time. Played hell with the housing in the back and drain hole. Ordered new Timken bearings this morning.
JamesP. A Willis is a gift that keeps on giving or is it, it keeps on taking my money.
I bought this 3A thinking I would not have much to do on it and be a dayly driver.� ;D

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:44:09 AM by Birddog7 »
Birddog7
1945 CJ2A
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1956 CJ3B

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Stryker CJ3A
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 04:08:22 PM »
From what I can see, the gears actually look pretty darn fresh.  Good news all around.  Strange the PO would go through the trouble of fixing the damaged gearing, but not clean out the box. 

Maybe he re-used the drained oil, but didn't filter it first?

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Stryker CJ3A
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 09:45:44 PM »
Was that bearing in the lower right of your last pic all bent up like that when you opened the diff or did you do that removing it? Or maybe you threw it across the garage in frustration after watching the metal chunks drain out with the fluid? I'm with Tim - the ring and pinion looks oddly good for a differential with fluid that drained out looking like Goldschalger. Still a huge plus that it looks that good just strange....
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:46:49 PM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Birddog7

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 91
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Willys
    • View Profile
Re: Stryker CJ3A
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 10:17:29 PM »
This is the strangest thing why they would not take the time to clean it properly. I should be thankful the ring and pinion are okay The pieces look like edges of a ring gear. This had the Bendix axle too. I did not think 3A's would have them. It was missing the outer axle bushings too for the Bendix axle shafts. We'll it looks like I am going to gain some experience on rebuilding a front axle.� :) Will keep you posted on my rebuild.
Ryan, that's the oil slinger I beat to heck getting the pinion oil seal out.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 10:28:29 PM by Birddog7 »
Birddog7
1945 CJ2A
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1956 CJ3B

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Stryker CJ3A
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 10:24:50 PM »
Both my 3A and M38 have Bendix axles. Are you sure they are missing the bushings? I initially thought mine were too but after I little research determined they were OK.....I think....
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Birddog7

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 91
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Willys
    • View Profile
Re: Stryker CJ3A
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 09:12:45 PM »
Stepson had pity on me today while I was cleaning my front axle. Took it to his work place to clean and he cleaned for me. The equipment for the right job.



Saved me about 3 days of cleaning.  :) note to self parts are really hot when they come out of steam washer.
Birddog7
1945 CJ2A
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1956 CJ3B

Offline Birddog7

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 91
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Willys
    • View Profile
Re: Stryker CJ3A
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 11:11:24 PM »
Tore into the heart of the D25 today. Found the cross shaft galded and metal flacks behind the small spider gears. Reading a lot about differentials. Trying to figure everything out. Jim Allen's book on differentials is the bible for information for me. My ring and pinion are not the stock ones but after market one and marked different. Here are some pic's.


Birddog7
1945 CJ2A
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1956 CJ3B

Offline Birddog7

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 91
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Willys
    • View Profile
Re: Stryker CJ3A
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 11:15:28 PM »
More pic's


Birddog7
1945 CJ2A
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1956 CJ3B

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Stryker CJ3A
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 07:31:26 AM »
What do you figure caused the damage on the shaft?  Spinning one wheel too long with low lubricant levels? Towing? Improper part hardening?

Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.