The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: PINTOJEEP  (Read 18210 times)

Offline F Bill

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
Re: PINTOJEEP
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 08:07:16 PM »
Well, today's job was further inspection of the tranny and transfer case, which always for me starts with scraping off the crud. It was rock hard and only some of the large chunks came off with a scraper. So, out comes the heavy artillery. A wire cup brush on the angle grinder made short work of the majority of the crud, while it spread grime all over the back of my workbench/Chevy truck bed. And as an added bonus, partly due to it being an el cheapo Harbor Fright brush and partly because it is the nature of the beast, I got a free accupuncture session. :D

I didn't find any busted case ears, cracks, or otherwise job stopping flaws in the case, so forward march.Here's the tranny after the beauty treatment.

Here's what it looked like before.. Dig that grooovy adapter and the Chebby bellhousing from the Nomad..

� �
 � As long as I was in Transmission Mode, I decided to take apart the supposed 48 Cj2A case I had bought from someone down New Orleans way quite a long time ago. It had the parking brake assembly I needed for the 3A, and the tranny had the correct input shaft I needed ( I think) to transplant to the other tranny. So, this time I decided to be smart and not lift it by hand, since I recently put my scrapyard A frame up. I found my chain hoist in the shop that I had found in an Indiana antique store last fall, and hooked it up. Even though it is rated at only a half ton it picked the assembled tranny and TC up like�it was a loaf of bread. While it was hanging in midair I did some more accupuncture/cleaning. Sure is nice to have stuff at a convenient height.

No overdrive to remove this time, found out it was a 26 tooth bowl gear.Took the nut off the gear but even though it moved freely a little bit it didn't want to come off, so I figured it would slide off when I split the tranny and TC. I popped the shifter off the tranny and looked inside. I don't know how I would have gotten it off without splitting teh transfer off.. Special puller maybe?

Not every used tranny is what it appears. This one was all cleaned up when I bought it, and it had a bunch of red silicone sealer on the tranny/ transfer case seam, as well as the bottom cover. You'd think...someone had it apart and repaired it or rebuilt it, right?? NOPE....If it had been put in a jeep the way it was it would have been a disaster. NO Synchro dogs were in the syncro assembly. I have no idea where they went, but you could easily shift the shift ring back and forth and it went too far in both directions. Also...looking into the case I saw a single lone roller looking up at me from its perch besides the reverse idler gear. OOPSIE!! �I guess I shoulda known the red silicone was a bad sign. Anyhow, everything else looked pretty decent , just a tiny bit of rust was starting to form on a couple of gears. �By the way, there were no guts to the parking brake, either, so I still need to find one.I think I paid somewhere around $100 for the whole tranny /transfer assembly so I can't really complain too much.

I took out the 5 bolts that hold the cases together, one from the front, three from the back, one never installed, and had to use a pry bar to break the grip of the silicone. As I had hoped the bowl gear slid right aff as the cases came apart. Good thing I had wired up the tranny, as the rear bearing slid off too...but no harm done, and eventually it will come farther apart to cannibalize the input shaft out of anyhow. Now I could easily move the gearboxes to gearbox alley by Pintojeep until I get ready to rebuild one. Split into components they arean't too bad to move.

Just for fun I scooted underneath Pintojeep, perched on a set of wheel dollies in the shop (ya gotta avoid putting miles on such a valuable vehicle ya know) to see if he had a parking brake. It's been so long since I was under there I forgot what was or wasn't there.. Well, at least some of the parking brake parts were there.. I didn't see the actuating lever but it was pretty dark. There were shoes at least. �I'll check the pictures I took under there to see just what I have. Everything under there is going to be replaced anyhow, as the tranny is full of rust and the transfer won't fit the new overdrive.

That's as far as I got today. More later..By the way the accupuncture didn't work. I still have no desire to smoke, and my back feels like an elephant walked on it. �::) I guess my aim was off with the needles. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:40:50 PM by F_Bill »
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline F Bill

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 08:47:32 PM »
Heres the messy underside of Pintojeep. Obviously he is doing his best to keep up the reputation of jeeps and marking their spots..

I can't see a parking brake arm anywhere in this pic....and the hat channels don't look too good either..But NO FRAME OFF RESTORATION this week. This is a remove and replace the gearboxes project, not a pull the tub job. So far anyhow. I just need to get Pintojeep ready for some trail duty, not the show circuit. I can see there is going to be a lot to do to get ready.
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.

Offline garage gnome

• Flatfender Master
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 09:53:04 PM »
Look like a good project Bill. Looking forward to the progress.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Quebec Jeep

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 08:17:06 AM »
Hey Bill, Are you selling your Pinto Jeep?

http://www.ewillys.com/2013/04/25/1946-cj-2a-dallas-tx-2500/

Look like a very good salad!
I'm jeepcoholic!

Offline johnrb3b

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • No such thing as too many Jeeps - well maybe
    • View Profile
    • Jeeps and stuff
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 09:42:05 AM »
Actually it looks like a pretty poor Jeep Salad.
Major cut in the firewall.
Shifter way off to the left - in the way of the driver's leg.
It does have a nice (maybe) radio.
1946 2A - - - 1949 me - older than most of my Jeeps
1954 3B - - - 1957 Wagon - - - 2010 4-door JK
past Jeeps ---> '54 3B - no tub --- '59 3B - no engine
past addiction - VW ---> '69 bus --- '70 camper

Offline F Bill

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 10:23:36 AM »
No, not mine. Pintojeep is a 3A. A lonely 3A right now.....as its owner is off to Iowa and thereabouts.
 :'(

That one appears to be a 2.3 with hydraulic lifters, and again hasn't had the front mount location changed so the firewall was cut. No clue what tranny they used.

Offline 64CJ5

• Willys Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 05:23:35 PM »
I am in the process of putting a 2.3L Pinto engine into a '52 M-38.  Previous owner had hacked the fire wall to get a Chevy 350 mounted.  I got it with out an engine.  Any thing military that could be unbolted was and I did not get those parts.  Jeep motor mounts had been removed along with the battery tray.  I do not know why I thought this would be an easy transplant.  Too many systems removed or not usable.  Blinded by, "Going to save a Jeep".  I am in too deep to quit now.    
The sun never sets on the mighty Jeep.

Offline Quebec Jeep

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2017, 04:35:05 PM »
Let see that pinto M38! Show us some pics.
I'm jeepcoholic!

Offline 64CJ5

• Willys Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2017, 09:46:03 PM »
I do have pictures.  I do not have the knowledge to post them to the site.  The body/tub is on blocks in the drive.
The frame has the Ford engine mounted and is in the garage.  Lots of parts in boxes on the floor.

Offline 64CJ5

• Willys Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2018, 11:36:34 AM »
Popeye is running but has had some fuel delivery problems.
Ok on the street but flooding on the rough trails. 
I am sure there are all ways some type of problems to solve.
I will try to post a picture.   

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2018, 09:00:52 PM »
Awesome Tom!  Congratulations for getting Popeye rolling.
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline johnrb3b

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • No such thing as too many Jeeps - well maybe
    • View Profile
    • Jeeps and stuff
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2018, 12:48:51 PM »
Congrats.
A year and a couple months is not too bad considering all you had to do.
Way to go.
1946 2A - - - 1949 me - older than most of my Jeeps
1954 3B - - - 1957 Wagon - - - 2010 4-door JK
past Jeeps ---> '54 3B - no tub --- '59 3B - no engine
past addiction - VW ---> '69 bus --- '70 camper

Offline aboyandhisdog

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2018, 10:26:20 PM »
This is great news Tom!  Will you be taking Popeye to the FCT?
Tom

Offline 64CJ5

• Willys Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2018, 10:57:15 PM »
Thanks Tim.  Like most projects there is more to do.
Thank you johnrb3b.  I seam to have lots of time on my hands and a Jeeping neighbor that is lots of help.
Tom, taking Popeye to the FCT is the plan.  I had wanted to take him to the NCR but that just did not work for us this year. 

Offline 64CJ5

• Willys Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2018, 10:52:50 PM »
We took "Popeye" up Elk Mt. to the fire lookout tower today.  Trey the Airedale loves Jeep rides.