The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: PINTOJEEP  (Read 15136 times)

Offline F Bill

PINTOJEEP
« on: March 07, 2011, 07:41:18 PM »
Here's a jeep I have owned for several years.. I bought it from a guy who was in the process of reversing the Pinto engine transplant...I got it running two summers ago, and found out the transmission howled worse than a beagle after a woodchuck.. I finally dragged it in the shop today, time for some TLC... and a little hammer therapy too. Got �a good used tranny/ tc to install, need to mount the engine a little different and maybe modify some driveshafts, and the usual brake and wiring redo. The Pinto2.0liter OHC engine runs great and I will keep it altho the swap was never completely finished....They didn't remount the tranny crossmember and had to cut the firewall to clear the valve cover...

That's its trip into the shop.....It is a driver, not a show jeep...someone did a good job reskinnning the whole tub, seats are from some 70's compact car, and the tailgate is homebuilt.. It was sprayed Krylon ALmond �and semigloss black back three years ago to keep the neighbors happy, I usually do that to all my junk jeeps so they don't look quite so sad...

I'm looking for a pinto throttle setup, pedal to carb, and a set of 11 inch brakes if anyone has any setting around...
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline Matto

Re: PINTOJEEP
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 08:13:25 PM »
Interesting Project. Any pictures under the hood?
1949 CJ3A project,1954 CJ3B weekend driver,1979 CJ5 plow Jeep,2012 JK Rubicon DD and weekend trail rig,2011 Ford F150 for dragging cool stuff home :)

Offline F Bill

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 08:21:50 PM »
<embed src="http://p.webshots.com/flash/smallplayer.swf?videoFile=http://videoserve.webshots.com/video/34738/3088677430037238516iAqPYS_v_0.flv&audio=on&displayImagePreview=http://videothumb19.webshots.com/thumb/34738/3088677430037238516iAqPYSstill_002_0.jpg&videoPageUrl=http://rides.webshots.com/video/3088677430037238516iAqPYS&autoPlay=false&shareLink=http://cards.webshots.com/ecard/personalize?photoId=3088677430037238516%26source=v" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" �quality="best" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed><br/><br/><a href="http://rides.webshots.com/video/3088677430037238516iAqPYS">Running Pintojeep</a>

here's a video of it runnimg...Sounds awful but in real life it purrs..

Here is a still shot.

I also need a good 3A windshield glass if anyone has a spare...it has Lexan in it now. (I'll probably have to go to a glass shop but it doesn't hurt to ask...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 08:26:02 PM by F_Bill »
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.

Offline Matto

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 08:47:13 PM »
Wow thats alot of room between the front of the radiator and the engine. Whats involved with mating up the Ford bellhousing to the T 90? Or can you adapt the original bellhousing to the new block? :-?
1949 CJ3A project,1954 CJ3B weekend driver,1979 CJ5 plow Jeep,2012 JK Rubicon DD and weekend trail rig,2011 Ford F150 for dragging cool stuff home :)

Offline F Bill

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 10:18:38 PM »
IIRC there is an adapter plate in there...but it has been almost a year since I looked. THe motor mounts will line up pretty well if I move the engine forward about three inches. Novak adapters still has a decent section on the Pinto motor conversions.. I ran pinto wagons all thru college and a few years afterwards, so I am pretty familiar with the engines..They were a great little powerhouse and took a lot of abuse..

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/pinto.htm

that's The Novak site with lots of info.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:23:33 PM by F_Bill »

Offline Matto

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 09:26:33 PM »
Thats a pretty detailed article on the Novak site. Looks like they have everything covered. I was just reading a very interesting thread you had started on the 2A site about sheetmetal forming. http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/how-to-make-tool-indentsmetalshapers-how-to_topic17398.html
Brians shop is about a mile from my house and I'm planning to take my 3A over to him this spring to see if the tub is worth saving.  He worked on a 2A for a friend of mine and it looked great. I would have liked to meet Bob W when he was in town.

Offline Bob W

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 09:32:17 PM »
Wow, I didn't realize you were so close! I always like to stop by and visit with other Willys owners.
Bob W

Offline Dez

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 08:07:11 PM »
Did they have to modify the firewall to fit the engine, Ive been reading a few swap threads and some did some didn't
Located in Pinedale Wyoming

Offline F Bill

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 09:10:13 PM »
Did they have to modify the firewall to fit the engine, Ive been reading a few swap threads and some did some didn't

I have no firewall from the tranny cutout to the hood hinge area.. Big time cutting.I can see the back of th eengine from teh drivers seat, as well as a lot of bellhousing.  HOWEVER that is not the way to do it. You can install the engine with no cutting if you move it forward by relocating the tranny crossmember forward. Driveshafts may need modding to different lengths but things will fit a LOT better. Electric fan is pretty much a must, as the water pump doesn't line up too  well with the radiator.

The NOVAK way is best from what I have seen.

Offline Comanche_County

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 11:23:28 PM »
Thanks Bill, been waiting to see this one....on my next trip back to TX, I'll definitely swing by to see the herd in person.
Georgia President of the International Flat Fender Club

Offline Dez

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 02:23:34 PM »
I dont plan on cutting my firewall I will get rid of the shroud in front of the radiator before that happens. Cant wait to get started. Im waiting on a c4 bellhousing i found so i can bolt everything together for measurements.
Located in Pinedale Wyoming

Offline F Bill

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 05:43:10 PM »
Ok, FOund out no more pics on WEbshots so I will try to download a picture here.. Lets see if this works..

Offline F Bill

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 05:45:44 PM »
Here's another....Check out the engine access from inside. Someone was asking about the seats I used...here is the best shot of them I have...Does anyone recognise what they are from?? They are sitting on 3A seat frames with the back of the frame cut off. Might be from early Bronco....or not.

These pics were taken a couple of years ago. The jeep is now at my house in a safer place than the old shop, with a lot of jeep parts stacked all over it. It patiently awaits as I drive all over the country making a living. barely.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 05:47:38 PM by F_Bill »

Offline F Bill

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 09:47:53 PM »
Well, I actually did something today for the Pintojeep. Lately there hasn't been much oversize work so I get to sit around home and think up things to do. Today I thought, hey, check out your new overdrive, dummy!

� � � � �So, I decided to take apart the overdrive equipped tranny someone had told me about when I was near Phoenix a while back. I bought it for a great price and had hoped it would be good enough to put in one of my jeeps, but since I dragged it home I never had time to do a proper inspection. At least it was installed in a large shaft(1.25inch) Transfer case, so I didn't have to worry about getting the right tooth count for my jeep, if the TC was any good.

� I have never had the pleasure of doing much tranny work on my jeeps, I lucked out on my first few in that they seemed to work fine and didn't need anything done other than topping up the lube. However, Pintojeep has a waterlogged and rusty tranny that shifts hard, howls like a wolf pack at midnight, and to top it off, it has to come out and be relocated along with the engine about 3 inches forward of where it is now. I want to be able to go on one of the Colorado Trail rides someday so Pintojeep is just going to have to get fixed!

� � � � So, first step....read everything I could online about removing an overdrive. Guess who has the best removal instructions? WE DO!!! I read it a few times, even stopped mid job to check it again. I shoulda printed it out...rrrgh.

� � �I might post up some pics later of the process, but it was pretty much exactly like everyone has said. Interesting that one online guide says never to pry it out but Herm the OD guy says to carefully pry it out with two screwdrivers..I decided to follow his advice and it pulled out slick as can be. Now the first problem, which I think is just me looking at something incorrectly. The forward end of the center shaft that the center planetary gear is on, is scored badly and looked worn. However, I think it is just the way it is made, and it doesn't actually fit into anything. It isn't a bearing surface at all, despite how it appears when you first look at it. (Am I right?) I looked at Herm's pic of a new unit and it looks the same as mine.

� � � The next thing that has to come out is that frickafrack snap ringeveryone complains about getting back in. . Easy peazy! Didn't have a problem at all. �Then, put the 1/2 socket extension in there to remove the nut torqued to 120 ft lbs.. Wait, it doesn't fit. Ok, a 3/8 extension does... So MR ADD trys to take it out with the ratchet wrench and everything spins. Out comes the air wrench.. Success, it loosens right up. But nothing comes out.. Oh wait... I FORGOT TO TAKE THE SPECIAL LOCK WASHER OUT!!!Well now that I have ruined the special lockwasher with my impact wrench, it pops right out, and what do ya know, the 1/2 inch extension now fits right into the special nut. It zips right off, and the rest of the planetary set comes out. One Warn overdrive, removed and boxed for later inspection. At first glance it seems okay.

� � Well, I figured I better go back inside and reread the guides and see how to split the two gearboxes before I mess anything else up. .. Eventually after a while of t-90 related websurfing interrupted by a bit of eBaying �(ADD anyone??) I went back outside and wired the gears in the tranny forward, so nothing came apart at the wrong time. Popped out the 5 bolts, and whammo, I have a tranny and TC. And a lot of goopy gunk in the bottom. Yumm.

� � I swear the last time they paved the road out front someone snuck into my shop and coated this gearbox with some extra road tar they had on hand.. Cleaning the cases is going to be a FUN job. The other problem I have is the tranny has the long 6 cyl input shaft, so I will need to take another tranny I have apart so I can build one from two. (Or if I am lucky use the alternative tranny, which came from LA or MI somewhere two years or more ago.Been tripping over it in the shop ever since. )And there is no parking brake assembly either. I don't know yet if I will swap in one, or put on rear wheel parking brakes when I do the 11 inch brake conversion. I'm leaning towards the driveshaft brake.

� � � �When I get time I will post some pics so you experienced tranny rebuilders can tell me if you see anything that looks bad, at first glance before dismantling further. I was pleasantly surprised by what looks like a minimal amount of wear to me. This setup I took apart today came from a 55 Chevy Nomad, of all things, and had the worlds ugliest adapter to mate the T 90 with a Chevy bellhousing. This you gotta see to believe.

To be continued, hopefully before 2014. ::) Between installing a tranny on my F 150 on the ground and moving about a ton of heavy jeep parts this week, my back is ready to cry uncle....This getting old is for the birds. �;D

Offline Quebec Jeep

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 04:54:44 PM »
I put wireless internet access and a PC in my remote garage so I always have a look on our website page. No need to walk back and forward.

I plan to bubba a laptop into my 3A so it will be always connected....nan! Just kidding.
I'm jeepcoholic!