The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: 1949 CJ3A in South Georgia  (Read 147 times)

Offline Joe Loehle

1949 CJ3A in South Georgia
« on: July 22, 2019, 02:30:31 PM »
I just got a 1949 CJ3A. My Father in Law had it in Minnesota for a few years. He said I could have it if I shipped it down here to the Coast of Georgia (between Savannah, GA and Jacksonville, FL).

It is in driving condition. The brakes seem a little underwhelming as it takes a good bit to get stopped.

It definitely needs body work. Lots of fixed spots. There are large rust holes in the bottom of the tub in spots.

The exhaust tail pipe's clamp seems to be rubbing the rear tire. But only when compressed due to a bump. Not sure if it is the location of the pipe or something else. Will need to do more research on that.

I also probably need to learn to weld! I am much better with wood and am a DIY guy, but don't know metal or even cars in general too much. Should be a good basic one to learn on. :)

Here is a photo of it.

Thanks for all the future help.

Joe Loehle
St Simons Island, GA
1949 CJ3A

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: 1949 CJ3A in South Georgia
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 12:03:35 PM »
It looks great Joe.  From your photo, it doesn't look like it needs much.

I think many of us learn to weld on old Jeeps.  I knew how to weld steel, but learning how to weld "sheet metal" was a whole new experience. [smiley=tongue.gif]

Welcome to the 3A/3B/DJ Page.  Lots of smart people here that are willing to help. 
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A