The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - CJJay

Pages: [1] 2 3
1
"Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations / Re: clutch noise
« on: September 23, 2012, 01:11:55 PM »
its brand new with 250 miles on it. is the holes on the side the only way to get in and check.

2
"Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations / clutch noise
« on: September 23, 2012, 01:05:06 AM »
I have 200 miles on the cj3a and started getting a noise from the clutch. the noise stops if I put it in neutral and let out the clutch. It doesn't do it all the time. Is this an adjustment issue. all parts are brand new.

3
I would never get made at a good suggestion. YOu were absolutly correct I had the 2 middle pistons in the wrong cylinder. all is fixed on both engines as we speak and I will try putting the original one in on thursday. will updat at thst time. If it works don't look for the thread just listen for my giant cry of relief.

4
so I have almost given up on getting the engine fixed so I bought a third engine from DEZ 2 weeks ago and am tring to get it fixed. I understood that it had 4000 miles and blew a piston. welll after taking it apart it had 1 inch of sludge in the bottom and looks like a lot more than 4000 on it. I put new rings in it and now it is really hard to turn over by hand with the head removed. do you think it is due to the lack of oil. If so what is the best way to get oil to all the parts befor starting. tomorrow I am going to lap the valves and try to finish it and get it in the cj. want to put it in a car show this week end.

5
"Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations / welting
« on: March 09, 2012, 12:36:27 AM »
any one have a way to compress the fasteners used to hold down thw grill welting?

6
what ever you do don't try any chemical sealers through the radiator, I learned the hard way. My machinist came to my house and used a chemical and peening process and it slowed it down but didn't stop it. I would get it welded if possible.

7
This is cool, I was thinking about useing the line from the top of the oil canister to force the oil into the pump. Do you think this will work as well?

8
Called Walcks and ordered shims for the pinion and carrier so will try to fix it by next week end. Tonight I'n going to pull the cover and measure the backlash.

9
the problem is I'm not sure if I did replace thew shims as they came out. I cleaned it all and then re assemblemd them and it is more than possible I have more shims on one side than the other or I have miss balanced the correct amount foor one side. If there is 5 shims on one side an 2 on the other (on the out side not next to the differential) this make one axle farther away from the pumkin than the other, correct. If you change these shims around does it change the distance the rack gear is from the pinion or just the location of the splines on the end of each axle. In other words can the shims that go on the axles by the brakes effect the backlash.

10
I totally disassembled this axle and replaced all the pinion and wheel bearings last summer. I just didn't replase the shims or understand this adjustment correctly so I guess I have to try to pull everything with out loosing any brake fluid and rebleading the break system. Do the shims at the wheels effect this as well?

11
I replaced the bearings because they were shot. I have read vernco pages twice and still am a bit imtimidated about how this all works. Tonight I went out and disconnected the drive shaft at the differential and although I have no vertical play,I have a lot of rotational play which means the pinion is not messing with the ring gear at the correct spot. The next question is can I fix this with out pulling the axles and pumkin.

12
I wish, I just pulled it apart, cleaned it, replaced the races and bearings and put it back together the way it came apart. I'm going to replace the ujoints first and see if the yoke will tighten down more before I start over again.

13
I took the cj3a for a ride to today and every time I let off the gas there is a loud noise and rumble that sounds like it comes from the resr end. any thoughts, I put ndw bearings and races in it.

14
"Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations / resistor
« on: April 15, 2012, 12:00:25 AM »
Forgot to ask about the in line resistor. The only way to getit to run was to by pass the one resistor I had from several years ago. It did seem to work on my truck and it won't work on this cj so h do I get a correct resistor to put in line with the coil to not burn out my points.

15
After several stress filled days the cj3a finially ran. I had to set the timmingby ear to finally get it to runn smotthly enough to drive but we went for about a 1 mile ride tonight. Our thoughts and questions. First my wifes thoughts (Holly S___T I'm going to fall out of this thing). Her question is what do poeple on her side hold on to? I didn't really care much as I won't be on that side much. Now my thoughs ( this is awsome but what are all those noises. Did I do something wrong? Is it about to explode? How hard will this be to push home? ) My questions: Do you hear every noise on these things and are the suppose to sound like they are running with no lubrication what so ever. Yes I put all the oils and grease in the differentals and trany/transfercase. I greased all the parts as I repleased them. I still have some play in the steering but no sway while driving. I'm sure I'll get the bugs worked out over time. Wish I had some members near by to check out this and give some advice.

here are some pictures on my face book page. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.409792569032446.103451.100000051192394&type=1

Pages: [1] 2 3