The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - Rogercarroll

Pages: [1]
1
Engine compartment / My CJ3B Stalled Out
« on: April 16, 2024, 10:38:39 AM »
I was driving my '63 3B yesterday when the engine died after about 20 minutes. Luckily I was in a parking lot when it happened. After 30 minutes or so it started up and I made it home. Attempts to start prior to that failed. Sometime it would just turn and not catch. Other times it would run for a couple seconds and die again. It was too late to look at it when I got home so I haven't checked the fuel filter yet, but I'll do that tonight.

I read about vapor lock, fuel tank ventilation, and the coil.

I need a new fuel cap anyway so I'm getting a ventilated one.

I'm really not sure what the coil has to do with it given the symptoms so I'm leaning towards vapor lock being the problem. Is my fuel line too close to the exhaust or valve cover? I've heard that I could slide a rubber hose over the steel line to provide insulation or switch to a rubber hose all together. If I do that it will likely be just as close and lay right across the valve cover. I have some old fuel pumps I can rebuild. I've heard the glass bowls insulate better. Is that true?

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

2
Your CJ-3B Project / Re: '63 CJ3B
« on: March 06, 2024, 03:05:33 PM »
I spent the winter completely replacing my 9" brakes. Everything downstream of the MC has been replaced except for the drums, backing plates, and hold down hardware. Everyone talks about upgrading to 11" brakes but I have the 15x7 wheels and my understanding is they don't fit with 11" brakes. No one talks about upgrading to the 10" brakes. Is there a big difference between the 9" and 10"? Would the 10" brakes fit my wheels?

3
Your CJ-3B Project / Re: '63 CJ3B
« on: September 21, 2023, 12:33:38 PM »
That looks like the alternator set up I want to get.

4
Your CJ-3B Project / Re: '63 CJ3B
« on: September 21, 2023, 11:27:36 AM »
The new generator is one my father in law bought years ago. I have no idea where he got it. It does not have a data plate but the box says '65 Willys. I wasn't sure about the compatibility of a threaded pulley vs a pressed on pulley. Do you know where I can get a new press on pulley that matches the V belt I have? Since I think my VR is bad too I was thinking of converting to an alternator. I've read the Delco 10SI ones are the best? Does it really matter what alternator I buy as long as I can rig a bracket to hold it?

5
Your CJ-3B Project / Re: '63 CJ3B
« on: September 14, 2023, 05:59:58 PM »
The old generator was incorrect for the jeep. The pullys had been lined up, and the generator was bolted on with washers for bushings. The new generator will probably have to go on the same way. I just don’t know if the pulley from the old generator with the bolts will fit on the new generator that is Push on. Here is another picture.

6
Your CJ-3B Project / Re: '63 CJ3B
« on: September 13, 2023, 02:01:35 PM »
Before I buy a pully remover can anyone tell me if these two pulies are interchangeable? I need the pully on the old gen to put on the new gen.

7
Electrical Systems / Re: Voltage Regulator Gasket
« on: August 26, 2023, 05:50:25 PM »
I appreciate everyone’s assistance. I definitely have the grounding strap. It runs from the bottom of the battery tray to the generator bracket bolted to the engine.

I’m actually beginning to think I have the wrong generator in my vehicle. I bought bushings and proper bolts from Kaiser Willy’s and when I installed them the generator was not held securely. Is the generator supposed to mount inside or outside of the engine bracket?  Mine attach one inside and one outside. I would think it would attach on the inside against the bushings.

According to the SM my Auto-Lite should be either a 4801 or a 7404.

Thanks!

8
Electrical Systems / Re: Voltage Regulator Gasket
« on: August 15, 2023, 03:45:20 PM »
Thanks Rus! My cluster gauge is definitely inop but I sent it off to see if someone could fix it. The extra gauge is an oil gauge. It usually reads about 40 when operating.

I do have the SM and have been reading it, but I don't understand electricity (ohms, amps, volts, etc all run together in my head). I did clean all the terminals and there is no corrosion I can see. I do have a ground strap and the negative from the battery runs to the head. I will definitely try pulling off the negative cable to see if the engine dies.

I did find some information on the page and it looks like I have the Remy Delco regulator. It was attached to the fender with the bolts in the picture. You can see there was a shoulder and some sort of bushing or insulator that rotted. The nuts are hollow too. I've never seen that before. Regardless, they were too long to secure the regulator tightly. It was pretty loose. If it doesn't need to be insulated from the fender I will just reattach it with some better bolts.

It is completely originally but believe the vehicle is pretty close. Most of the odd wiring can be attributed to the removal of the turn signals. That created all kinds of problems with the brake/tail lights and the parking lights.

9
Your CJ-3B Project / '63 CJ3B
« on: June 27, 2023, 12:07:33 PM »
I just took ownership of my father-in-laws 1963 CJ3B. This is my first Jeep so everything I know I'm learning on this page. He bought it in 1987 and used it as a work vehicle on his farm outside St. Louis. Before that it was owned by a bridge painting company. It has always been garage/barn kept. He believes the top was original to the vehicle and made by Koenig (although the plate has been painted over). He never had the doors and added the tailgate after he purchased it. The front seat is from a Scout and the front bumper/brush guard was fabricated for strength and allowed for a place to load deer being hauled back during hunting season. A tow pintle was welded on at some point. The heater and turn signals were removed. The only working gauge is the aftermarket oil pressure he added. Other than that he believes it is pretty original. He had the engine rebuilt in the late '80s and was bored .080.

The engine number is P22015. Can anyone tell me why that doesn't match the numbering convention used?

My initial plans are to make it road worthy. The steering is loose. He thinks it the box. The brakes are "suspect". He says he's never worked on the wheel bearings. The engine stalls after it has been running. He thinks it has a bad coil that is overheating. If that isn't it he thinks it might be a vapor lock because he replaced the fuel line not too long ago.

Can anyone tell me anything else about the vehicle?

Thanks for everyone's help and knowledge.
Roger

Pages: [1]