The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - mdsull3704

Pages: [1]
1
Where did you find them? I remember seeing a listing somewhere but don't know where ...

2
As far as rebuild parts for transmissions and t-cases, does anyone know anything about the kits from Novak Conversions? (see: http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/t90_parts.htm)

3
And the nice thing about having it boiled is it is clean inside and out including any nooks and cranies and any passages/vents. I have done several engine blocks and heads and gear box cases and it is the only way to go.

Mike.

4
To clean the cases, make sure that all of the parts are removed, including the tags (just pop the rivets) and take them to your local machine shop and have them boiled. Should not cost too much and they will come back just bare metal. Anything not steel/iron will dissolve, hence the comment about the tags etc.

For the rest, I have been using a 5 gallon can of "starter solvent" that I got at the oil distributor in town (I supplied the can). It is very low flash point and does a good job of cleaning. I assume that you can still find something similar, but I got mine about 20 years ago! Might ask your machine shop.

Mike

5
Gunslinger, did you get my PM ?

6
Sounds like sage advice. Replace it is.  :)

Thanks. Mike.

7
There is one small rust spot about the size of a pin head that I can see. I think I will try honing it carefully and see if it clears up. If not, replace. Although part of me says don't chance it and just replace it (I keep flip flopping). I am going to replace all of the lines as well. After 58 years worth of crud, corrosion etc. it just seems like the right thing to do.

Thanks,
Mike.

8
Got it out. I couldn't swing it down. The exhaust pipe was sort of in the way (could have budged it over), but I was still running into the bell housing with the bolt. I removed the push rod from the cylinder which allowed me to rotate it toward the front and then push it up (still "attached" to the bracket by the loose bolt) to the point that the bolt would then clear the bell housing. With the bolt out of the way it dropped straight out.

After disassembling it, I am really surprised how good it looks after several decades (at least). Now the question is to rebuild or replace.

Thanks for the help.
Mike.

9
Bill, I think that I will have to leave the bolt in the casting as it goes through a bracket that is attached to the petal pivot.

Cussing hasn't happened yet, but I could see it coming to that!

I am off to do battle. We will see how i do especially since the weather turned cold (garage not heated...)

Thanks,
Mike.

10
I have started working on my 53 CJ3a again after about 15 years (been sitting around WAY too long) and have started with the brakes as they were problematic when I stopped driving it and they seem to be worse now.

I am trying to get the master cylinder out and have all of the bolts, brake lines etc. loose, but the rear bolt hits the bell housing before it will clear the cylinder. I tried rotating it around a little, but have not tried really hard yet (dinner was ready and I was ready to call it an evening). Since I just got my account here I thought I would see if anyone knows the proper sequence of moves to undo the puzzle.

Thanks.
Mike Sullivan
Laramie, WY
53 CJ-3B, '53 CJ-3B

Pages: [1]