The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: Kirkski
« on: June 01, 2015, 08:36:10 AM »

Pressing, pounding etc ... Any words of wisdom here? Nothing on the web that I have found...
Posted by: Kirkski
« on: June 01, 2015, 08:01:46 AM »

Nothing can be straight forward can it?

No what pray tell....
Posted by: Kirkski
« on: June 01, 2015, 06:49:46 AM »

Interesting thread, I am intending to install the bell crank repair kit today� hopefully its pretty straight forward... ::)
Posted by: Ryan_M
« on: December 10, 2013, 10:44:37 AM »

I suppose the M38 would be more water tight with the added seal and spring. I know when I sloshed through deep water in my 3A last year I saw A LOT of water squeeze out of the bell crank when I regreased it.

I plan on taking the M38 on the same trip next year so I'll be able to compare test results....
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: December 09, 2013, 11:22:46 PM »

Interesting, isn't it? 

I think of the M-38 as a military CJ-3a but there are probably more differences than there are similarities.

I have a friend who has one and he swears it drives better than any CJ....maybe the steering box to bellcrank geometry is just a little different..
Posted by: athawk11
« on: December 09, 2013, 09:23:48 PM »

Quote
See what happens when you guys allow this step-child 3A variant to hang with the 3A family?�

I wouldn't have it any other way!� 8-). We're all learning new and interesting variants.�

Now, the million dollar question...�

What advantage/improvement does this design change offer?

The M38 was designed to "ford".� �Assuming all the seals are correct and fresh, would this be more water tight?

Tim
Posted by: Ryan_M
« on: December 09, 2013, 08:41:09 PM »

Interesting. My seal does not have that spring. Is that the "6. SPRING, TENSION, SEAL" in the M38 Fig. 24 above? Fig. 24 seems to show #6 above the #7 seal but maybe it was meant to wrap around it?

I'm confident I can make my set-up work and I'm pushing this now solely out of curiosity. See what happens when you guys allow this step-child 3A variant to hang with the 3A family?�
Posted by: Bob W
« on: December 09, 2013, 08:08:31 PM »

Here is an M38 bellcrank bracket. It's difficult to see in the photo but the shoulder is part of the bracket and that's where the seal rides. The seal has a metal "spring" around it to provide more pressure on the sealing surfaces.

Posted by: Ryan_M
« on: December 09, 2013, 12:49:33 PM »

There was a change. I'm still not sure if my bracket "sleeve" is correct but there did appear to be that protrusion there - whether sleeved or originally cast. The parts diagram for the M38 also shows a spring washer (which I don't have) and the thicker boot/seal that I do have in my pic. Those are parts #9 and #10 in the M38 diagram. If I can find a suitable spring washer replacement I think it'll be OK.

I am still a big fan of Walck's, but the "Bell crank kit 7/8" CJ2A, CJ3A, CJ3B, CJ5, CJ6, DJ, FC 150, M38, M38A1 Part Number: 920556" is another part that should not be advertised as completely suitable for the M38.


Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: December 09, 2013, 12:23:40 PM »

I went through Bretto's build pics but I guess I didn't go back far enough.

That picture clearly shows a bushing or sleeve..

Ryan's post on the willysmjeeps forum got a response that shows some special washers/shims/spacers in there...here is the picture

I think Ryan needs to call Carl or John Bizal....

Posted by: athawk11
« on: December 09, 2013, 11:51:57 AM »

Here is a picture of Bretto's frame.� This tells me it is conclusive that there was a design change for the M38.� Is there some type of shim pack available?


Posted by: athawk11
« on: December 09, 2013, 11:36:34 AM »

I agree with Randy.  I think Bretto is our key.

This could have been a design change, but why would everyone sell the same repair kit that is interchangeable between so many different Willys versions?

Tim

Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: December 08, 2013, 09:43:24 PM »

I think it's odd that Walck's offers the identical kit for 2a's, 3a's, FC150's, M-38, etc etc, yet there is no extra dust seal or washer for that gap....

Where's Bretto? Doesn't he have an M-38?
Posted by: athawk11
« on: December 08, 2013, 08:58:54 PM »

No worries, it is still easy to get to.  You may have to see an M38 frame, but I'm almost thinking you could flush that up and be in good shape...as long as you have enough thread on the shaft.

Tim
Posted by: Ryan_M
« on: December 08, 2013, 08:52:30 PM »

..and Tim, I almost feel guilty that even after your glorious "first piece" press conference, within a week you felt compelled to remove it to help me out ..... ;D ;D ;D