The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: 1oldracer
« on: May 14, 2013, 10:34:47 PM »

And don't forget surface preparation.  Its such a treat to watch a nice clean painted letter bubble up and dribble away - don't ask how I know!
Posted by: macrisel
« on: May 14, 2013, 11:01:25 AM »

Here is what I did for my emboss on the hood using a base/clear...

1.  Primer the entire hood.
2.  Paint/clear the emboss white.
3.  Scuff the area to remove any tape lines
4.  Paint/clear the entire hood, including the emboss, with the body color.  In my case it was Nomandy Blue.
5.  Tape off the letters on the emboss and CAREFULLY wet sand the blue off the top of the letters until you get down to the white.
6.  Scuff the entire hood again and put 2-3 coats of clear over everything.

This makes some very nice, clean lines and has everything protected under several layers of clear.  There are more photos and descriptions under my build thread "PROGRESS" under the "Stock Jeep Project" section.

Good luck!  Its a lot of work but very well worth it.
Posted by: ZekeD
« on: May 14, 2013, 10:37:39 AM »

How about a printer's "brayer" ?  It should hit the high places and not the hood.

Just thimkin'  :) :)

ZD
Posted by: bretto
« on: May 14, 2013, 06:51:42 AM »

It would be tedious, but I would mask off each letter with tape in order to get crisp straight lines.
I don't know exactly, but wasn't it stock that the letter stamp was the same color as the body?  I don't know the history there to say, I have a M38, they had no badging other than the tool box front.
Posted by: garage gnome
« on: May 13, 2013, 11:41:47 AM »

I never have good luck with stencils, so I hand paint on the Willys. Takes a small brush and steady hand. For the 4WD in the tailgate, I get a decal from here:

http://www.pixeldecals.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=37

Posted by: Macgraham
« on: May 13, 2013, 11:37:15 AM »

Can someone educate me on the Willys hood stencil?  I don't have the stencil yet but it looks like it  could be difficult to use the flat stencil on the raised letters. Has anyone any info? Thanks, Mac :-/ :-/ :-/