Posted by: Stearman817
« on: December 24, 2012, 11:06:40 AM »
Diagnostic help needed: my 49 CJ3A with Carter WO carburetor seems to be "cutting out" or "hesitating" and will no longer idle, but will remain running with some pedal in and higher RPM. It's not a regular, or repeatable "cut out", and does not seem to be "bumping around" related. The engine starts cutting out, then dies most times, but starts right back up. Carb was a 2007 overhaul by Kaiser Willy's.
Ignition is working fine, with no voltage drop out to any plugs of any type, so I am thinking this is a carb issue. The fuel is clean, fresh and running well in other machines.
What I have done so far is to inspect the fuel intake screen on top of the float bowl where fule line intakes, and it is clean and unobstructed. I have noticed a higher fuel level in the top of the glass bowl above the fuel pump than usual.
Any experienced advise would be appreciated.