The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: Gunslinger
« on: April 20, 2012, 02:26:11 PM »

CJ
I was pretty intimidated by the rear end as well, mine needed bearings and I didn't have the tools or the confidence to do it, so I trailered it to a guy who owns an independant shop and had him replace all the bearings and do the set up for me, it cost me a couple hundered bucks, but now I know that its right and I know who to hammer on if its not.  Just sayin,, the guys on the forum are really good at this stuff, but I learned a long time ago that I do better when I stay inside my own personal wheel house...
Todd
Posted by: bretto
« on: April 19, 2012, 08:31:11 PM »

Its kind of a pain working with the axle in place doing a gear set up but it can be done.  I'd check the pattern while you are in there.  I found just getting either a bright yellow or prussian blue oil paint mixed a touch of gear oil, works fine for marking the teeth.
Posted by: CJJay
« on: April 19, 2012, 06:09:22 PM »

Called Walcks and ordered shims for the pinion and carrier so will try to fix it by next week end. Tonight I'n going to pull the cover and measure the backlash.
Posted by: rocketeer
« on: April 19, 2012, 03:00:49 PM »

Those axle end-play shims have no effect on backlash.

Larry
Posted by: bretto
« on: April 19, 2012, 03:00:20 PM »

The axle shafts and outer shims have no effect on the carrier to pinion set up.
Posted by: CJJay
« on: April 19, 2012, 02:35:49 PM »

the problem is I'm not sure if I did replace thew shims as they came out. I cleaned it all and then re assemblemd them and it is more than possible I have more shims on one side than the other or I have miss balanced the correct amount foor one side. If there is 5 shims on one side an 2 on the other (on the out side not next to the differential) this make one axle farther away from the pumkin than the other, correct. If you change these shims around does it change the distance the rack gear is from the pinion or just the location of the splines on the end of each axle. In other words can the shims that go on the axles by the brakes effect the backlash.
Posted by: rocketeer
« on: April 19, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »

As long as you reuse the exact same shims at each axle end there should be no problem.

Larry
Posted by: CJJay
« on: April 19, 2012, 12:03:23 PM »

I totally disassembled this axle and replaced all the pinion and wheel bearings last summer. I just didn't replase the shims or understand this adjustment correctly so I guess I have to try to pull everything with out loosing any brake fluid and rebleading the break system. Do the shims at the wheels effect this as well?
Posted by: bretto
« on: April 18, 2012, 09:46:23 PM »

Sounds like you have too much backlash. �I bet your mesh contact is way off. �I wouldn't drive it anymore till this is fixed, you can burn up your gears. �Unfortunately, to do any of the adjustments, you have to have the axles out. �You sound adventurous enough to learn how to do this, it just take a�certain amount of reading up and getting the right tools to dial it in. �You need to read up on this.
Years ago I found this info helpful:
http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/HowTo/TechnicalInstructions/Yukon_Installation_Kit_Instructions.pdf
There is some good info @ Randy's Ring and Pinion and Yukon Gear & Axle sites to.
Brett
Posted by: CJJay
« on: April 18, 2012, 09:32:12 PM »

I replaced the bearings because they were shot. I have read vernco pages twice and still am a bit imtimidated about how this all works. Tonight I went out and disconnected the drive shaft at the differential and although I have no vertical play,I have a lot of rotational play which means the pinion is not messing with the ring gear at the correct spot. The next question is can I fix this with out pulling the axles and pumkin.
Posted by: Bob W
« on: April 18, 2012, 08:33:40 PM »

Driveshaft u-joints in phase?
Posted by: rocketeer
« on: April 18, 2012, 07:35:55 PM »



Larry
Posted by: rocketeer
« on: April 18, 2012, 07:30:38 PM »

Quote
I wish, I just pulled it apart, cleaned it, replaced the races and bearings and put it back together the way it came apart. I'm going to replace the ujoints first and see if the yoke will tighten down more before I start over again.
Did you follow the procedure in the manual? Did you pre-load the pinion? Once you change bearings you have to go through the entire procedure of checking pinion depth and ring & pinion lash plus gear mesh, otherwise serious damage can be done.

http://www.vernco.com/RearAxle5/index.htm







Larry
Posted by: bretto
« on: April 18, 2012, 04:01:07 PM »

Did you check the gear mesh pattern after changing bearings?  The gears could of been quiet with the old bearings and now with new, they could not be meshing right.  Might be close but not enough.  Did you change all 4 sets? (both pinon and both carrier).  And why did you change them anyway?
Posted by: CJJay
« on: April 18, 2012, 12:58:57 PM »

I wish, I just pulled it apart, cleaned it, replaced the races and bearings and put it back together the way it came apart. I'm going to replace the ujoints first and see if the yoke will tighten down more before I start over again.