The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: ranchhopper
« on: March 10, 2013, 05:39:45 PM »

Made good progress today the tub has been unbolted and ready to go one last thing to do is pull the steering gear and get the column out all electric has been removed. The tool box is an add on the pitted metal doesnt match the smooth unrusted metal of the tub and its easy to tell it was welded in at a later date. The driver side gas tank was added too it had a spot where it rubbed through on a raised piece of metal it will go to the radiator shop tomorrow and be repaired to be sold off its spotless inside too. I am going to stick with the rear tank I am going to run it to the radiator shop as well and have it boiled out and checked for leaks tomorrow looks like the gauge holes were cut into the dash with a hole saw dont know if the dash was replaced or not looks to be factory the welds match up with the rest of the tub. Sold off the wheels and tires today and the roll bar I have a line on four stock wheels with tires already on them so I am going to buy them and I will have plenty left over for the media blaster.
Posted by: Bob W
« on: March 10, 2013, 08:13:39 AM »

I wouldn't worry about changing the title for some number stamped on the frame.
Posted by: ranchhopper
« on: March 10, 2013, 08:08:43 AM »

OK I will look again it should be right over the spring hangar maybe I didnt look far enough back if there is a number there its going to give me some titling headaches unless I dont say anything about it.
Posted by: Bob W
« on: March 10, 2013, 08:04:24 AM »

Willys began to stamp frames with the sequence portion of the VIN somewhere around 1954. Here is a photo from The CJ-3B Page showing the location....



Posted by: ranchhopper
« on: March 10, 2013, 07:55:43 AM »

I will be able to easily get all that when the tub is off im going to bring the chassis to work and steam clean it and pressure wash it down and prep it for paint. It doesnt make much sense the steering column should be surrey if the jeep was just retubbed with a surry tub but lack of a serial number in the frame is a bit strange too. I was told by the previous owner for him to get it titled he had to get a state trooper out to verify a vin on the frame but finding none they titled it as a 49 he was told that year they didnt number the frame.
Posted by: Bob W
« on: March 10, 2013, 07:28:14 AM »

Quote
We have seen ONE 4WD factory jeep with Surrey colors and �upholstery....I forget right now but I think it was a CJ3B.....

I forgot about that possibility, perhaps it is factory 4WD. The date codes on the axles, transmission and transfer case will pretty much tell the story.
Posted by: ranchhopper
« on: March 09, 2013, 11:10:31 PM »

Its pretty nice no doubt the front clip unbolted perfect the fenders, grille and hood are all rust free we will see what surprises I get when they come back from the media blaster.
Posted by: F Bill
« on: March 09, 2013, 10:15:24 PM »

Surreys were ALL 2WD with a different 3 speed than the T 90.. (t86 I think) The original front axle was a beam type, and the rear was a smaller Dana, and as you said, 4 lug. However, everything from a 4WD jeep would bolt up to the engine and springs with minimal modification. MOST �but not all converted DJ's still are on the original DJ chassis, which has a rear gas tank. We have seen ONE 4WD factory jeep with Surrey colors and �upholstery....I forget right now but I think it was a CJ3B.....

I've got a 60 DJ with a tailgate here at the house, with 4WD and a V6 and T-90 from a Cj5 in it. It looks like it was built that way. Too bad it was left outside in Ohio too long as the engine is seized up.

The nice thing about your tub is the lack of tailgate makes it a lot stronger ...but you have a toolbox and can use stock 3A seating, which is a lot easier to find than the dispatcher seats...and again, it is stronger.

To me your frame horns look correct for DJ OR 3A.. The black steel bumper covers the first two inches of frame when you install it, so it makes the frame look a bit different when the bumper is off.

You have the makings of a real nice jeep there.
Posted by: ranchhopper
« on: March 09, 2013, 09:29:02 PM »

I took a closer look at the dash today it looks like they enlarged the speedometer hole and went with a bigger one I thought the surrey had four lug wheels so the axles must be from a different donor vehicle..
Posted by: Bob W
« on: March 09, 2013, 09:11:02 PM »

Everything about your new Jeep screams Surrey except for.... M-38 windshield frame, 4WD, 5 gauge cluster and the radiator.
Posted by: Bob W
« on: March 09, 2013, 09:07:08 PM »

Quote
3J167733 stamped behind the water pump.

That would be from about 1960, just after the timing gear oil jet changed from 0.070" to 0.040".
Posted by: ranchhopper
« on: March 09, 2013, 08:55:29 PM »

3J167733 stamped behind the water pump.
Posted by: Bob W
« on: March 09, 2013, 08:47:19 PM »

Quote
That's Cerulean blue, a Surrey color. Ad your engine number could easily have been in a Surrey OR a 3A.

What is the engine serial number?
Posted by: ranchhopper
« on: March 09, 2013, 06:04:40 PM »

Got this picture of the longer frame horns they are much longer than my 3A parts jeep they have not been added to you can see where they end under the 3/4 inch steel blocks.
Posted by: F Bill
« on: March 09, 2013, 05:52:59 PM »

That's Cerulean blue, a Surrey color. Ad your engine number could easily have been in a Surrey OR a 3A.