The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: garage gnome
« on: March 06, 2014, 10:28:01 PM »

One could be added to the flywheel pretty easily.
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: March 06, 2014, 10:19:45 PM »

Someone sure went through a lot of work to engineer and build this tractor...I was a little surprised that there was no PTO pulley....

With that huge fuel tank it was meant for some long run times....
Posted by: garage gnome
« on: March 06, 2014, 09:56:56 PM »

I see band brakes around the big drums where the drive gears are. I know what the engine it is too! Looks like an Edwards with the back cover off and someone removed the hopper and brazed on a plate to make it tank cooled instead. So then it is not a 2 stroke. The engine is worth getting!!! That tractor needs to be saved!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmK0MNwwvqA

Quote
Anyone care to speculate what the shift pattern looks like?� I guess it does not matter too much, in gear is in gear. :D

Zeke

It looks like an SM420.
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: March 06, 2014, 08:43:32 PM »

I took a couple more pictures today...still no sign of life at the shop...lots and lots of implements/engine parts you name it in the yard....no dog!

It's gear drive, and on the head cover the holes are marked "prime"

Just looking at the size of the gears and the chain drive it must have been a real crawler...
 
and maybe differential braking?
Posted by: ZekeD
« on: March 06, 2014, 08:15:33 PM »

Anyone care to speculate what the shift pattern looks like?� I guess it does not matter too much, in gear is in gear. :D

Zeke
Posted by: garage gnome
« on: March 06, 2014, 07:44:38 PM »

This is what I'm seeing Randy. I'm not sure if this is right or not. I'm thinking 2 of the needle valves are for water injection, like on my Titan?

Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: March 06, 2014, 11:35:12 AM »

I see those flat knurled (?) knobs....and both exhaust ports are plumbed into the smoke stack. With the ports that low in the cylinders it must be a two stroke.....convection in the smoke stack must have pulled air through those water cooling pipes that encircle the base...I would think the large tank is for water....

But there are tanks on both top and bottom of the cooling tubes...maybe that large tank is for fuel....

But, no plugs no magneto....two stroke diesel?
Posted by: garage gnome
« on: March 06, 2014, 06:03:25 AM »

You know what, the more I look at it, I think it is a fuel injected 2 stroke. Yes, they had fuel injection back in the teens.
Posted by: garage gnome
« on: March 06, 2014, 05:54:03 AM »

Nope, it's there. They are not called carburetors on these types of engines. They are called mixers because they is what they do. They are just a venturi and a needle valve to regulate the amount of fuel sucked in. I see 4 needle valves at the front of the engine which is kinda strange.
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: March 05, 2014, 10:27:21 PM »

No obvious carburetor, missing maybe?
Posted by: garage gnome
« on: March 05, 2014, 10:12:51 PM »

The pushrods and rockers are under the cast iron cover ont he front of the engine. They didn't use sheet metal or plastic covers back then!
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: March 05, 2014, 09:38:25 PM »

The more I look at the pic the more I realize just what it is.....sorta...I don't recognize the engine, but there are no external rockers or push-rods...there is an electric starter, and the transmission looks automotive and is mounted transversely.....quite the clattering, clanking collection of caliginous parts....as they say over the rainbow....

but I do like Wicked Decent, eh?

Posted by: garage gnome
« on: March 05, 2014, 08:11:23 PM »

Yes I do! Or Randy needs it! It would be a good project for him. ;)
Posted by: Ryan_M
« on: March 05, 2014, 08:08:10 PM »

That looks, as they say in these parts, WICKED DECENT.

Nate, you need to own that thing.
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: March 05, 2014, 07:42:01 PM »

It's been sitting there for years....The place doesn't look all that friendly, but I can ask around. There are other engines and parts in the back that can be seen from the road....

I'm holding the camera above the security fence in these pictures...

It has an electric starter, and is that a jeep steering wheel??