The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Modified Oil Bath Air Cleaner  (Read 74 times)

Offline Slimpickins

• Highly focused like a gnat in a whirlwind
    • View Profile
Modified Oil Bath Air Cleaner
« on: March 28, 2021, 07:15:22 PM »
Thought I would share some pictures and ideas on how I modified an air filter housing to use a modern filter. To start, I want to say that my housing was rusted out and if it had not been, I probably wouldn't have done this. The old down side to this set-up is that the filter must be oiled to work properly, so either way you going to be playing with oil during service.

PICTURE 1, 2 & 3:  You will notice that I have two tool box latches securing the top dome to the shell which additionally sandwiches
                             the filter plate between the two. 

PICTURE 4: This picture of me holding the top / dome, with the bottom towards the camera, you can zoom in on the edge and see how the
                  outer rim is double layered. That lip that is a bit jagged was crimped around an edge on the shell circled in Picture 5. I used a
                  small screw driver to open up that crimp to separate the dome from the shell. I then crimped it back down to eliminate a sharp
                  edge.
PICTURE 5: The yellow circle identifies the horizontal lip on the shell that the dome is crimped on to. I put door edging around it to eliminate the sharp
                  edge. I did not cut it off because it give the shell some extra strength.  You will also see that I cut the bottom out of the oil cup and
                  also used door edging to eliminate the sharp edge.   
PICTURE 6: This shows the plate and tube I welded up to accept the filter. I put soft rubber, inter tube I think, around the outer edge on the
                  bottom and top to use as a seal. After several thousand miles, it seems to work well. There have no signs of dust or dirt in the
                  dome. The filter was a stock item at Pep-Boys in their rice rocket section.

The rest of this is pretty self explanatory. Aside from the tool box latches, it looks stock and those unfamiliar with old jeeps would never know it isn't original. 

Offline Rus Curtis

Re: Modified Oil Bath Air Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 11:03:02 PM »
Your images explained my temporary confusion (opened at the bottom and opened at the back of the case) but seeing how your filter goes in shows how it works - I'd initially imagined the pointy end up.  Nice work!

So, if the element needs oiling, is it reusable, i.e. can it be washed and re-oiled?

Derek has at least one article on a different approach to modifying the breather.  This may also be a good addition for another option.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Slimpickins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 08:09:00 AM »
Thanks for the compliment Rus.

Really you wouldn't need to open the bottom up as it could breath through the perferations in the back of the shell, the side facing the firewall. I opened my up because of rust.

Offline Slimpickins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 05:35:40 PM »
Rus, I completely whiffed on your question about the air filter. Yes, it is re-usable. They make a recharge kit that includes some soap and oil. Just wash, let dry, oil and reinstall.