The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: E Brake Clip  (Read 211 times)

Offline Spacecrab

E Brake Clip
« on: March 12, 2021, 08:12:16 AM »
Hi all,

I'm missing this little clip for the e brake and I'm hoping to make a copy

If anyone has one to hand please post a photo next to a ruler or with measurements

My e brake is incredibly hard and seems to be rubbing on the transmission mount so I'm hoping this missing piece will help

Thank you

Side Question: is the e brake clevis the same as the clutch clevis?
Restoring a 1954 CJ3b

Offline Rus Curtis

Re: E Brake Clip
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 11:19:37 AM »
Spacecrab,

That doodad is from, GROUP24-01 --HAND BRAKE, called

641921    Clip, retracting spring

As far as I can tell, it's only job is to give your spring an attachment point to the clevis/pin connection on the operating lever (AKA brake arm).  I didn't have one (didn't have any hand brake parts back there) but using Lawrence Wade's pictures to help identify what was missing:

Notice the bend

I ordered one:
https://walcks4wd.com/search.asp?keyword=641921

Below, I've attached images that will hopefully help.  I honestly don't remember if the ordered part came with the bend or if I just added it to help with spring alignment. 

On the clevis, in the same group above, it's listed as

GM-144242     Clevis, adjustable, 5/16"

in the clutch group, GROUP 11-02 -- CLUTCH CONTROL PARTS, that part is listed as

632177     Yoke, adjusting end, 5/16" (Clutch control lever)

The most obvious comparison I'd note is the shaft size (obviously can't be interchanged if threads are different!) but I'd have to crawl underneath to do a closer comparison as both are still attached right now.  So, right now, I don't know if they're interchangeable.

On the rubbing, do you have the final clip (3 clips total) that secures the cable housing to the crossmember?  On mine, the cable is very close to the rear support on the crossmember.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 11:53:09 AM by Rus Curtis »
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Spacecrab

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 01:51:28 PM »
Thanks Rus,

That's a great help,

I seem to have this set up at the crossmember which I'm assuming is causing the rubbing as it does not look original

I found these brackets which the mechanic didn't use so I'll see if I can get it back to stock with the help of your photos of the clip
Restoring a 1954 CJ3b

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 05:07:34 PM »
Weird how you can always end up with spare parts after garage gets done......

I recognize most of those brackets/clips.  The two tapered brackets appear to be the bracket at the firewall where the cable exits into the engine compartment (there will be the first clip to hold the cable housing).  The two small clips could be both (at the firewall and at the crossmember under the transmission) I'm not sure if they'r the same or not.  Slipping them over the end of the cable housing will tell.  The round end goes over the housing and the "crimped" end is towards the cable cupping the end of the housing - this keeps the housing from moving.  The one I don't recognize is the top right black bracket.  Not sure where that goes.

I found this thread that has several links - each with some images to help.

https://cj3apage.com/Forum/index.php?topic=4276.msg35516#msg35516
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Spacecrab

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 08:54:31 PM »
Thanks Rus, seeing those forums and links highlighted that I'm also missing number 13 in this image.

My spring appears to be waaay over extended which is probably why it's such a bear to use the E Brake. It's doing the job of the spring clip and this part

So I was thinking to take the spring to a spring shop and have them copy it with the extra length of lucky number 13 as one

Do you think that'd be ok or is there some reason why it's best to have a two piece set up as the genius' at Willys Overland intended?

Also if anyone has the length of that part please let me know, I think it was around 10cm but I'm not certain
Restoring a 1954 CJ3b

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 11:24:45 PM »
Spacecrab,
I've seen both; with and without that Retracting Spring Link.  I had nothing so I ordered it all.  I don't believe the spring (with or without the link) is that critical - it just needs to pull the Operating Lever back to where the shoes aren't engaged when you push the cane handle in.  If you had a stretched spring, you could stretch it to the clevis so that it has a little tension (use your fingers to guage what it needs to pull the Operating Lever back to disengage) then clip it with wire clippers, bend that end of the coil 90* forming a hook so you can attach it and call it a day.  Moving the lever forward and backward will show you how much travel the spring needs.

On a side note, I thought about going to the local big box home improvement store (they have a lot of springs) to just get one of those (even though I didn't know how tight it was supposed to be) but since I was placing an order already for a bunch of other parts, I just added all that in with it.   
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C