The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: OMIX ADA or decent Original springs?  (Read 259 times)

Offline shortrackskater

OMIX ADA or decent Original springs?
« on: March 02, 2021, 09:25:28 PM »
I'm debating on what to do here.
I have a source for getting "good, checked, used" leaf springs for the front and rear of my 3B for $50 each.
Once this jeep is back on the road regularly, ALL I will do is drive it around town or perhaps on a dirt road from time to time. There will be on heavy off-roading, ever.
Has anyone here purchased the OMIX springs? The OMIX are about $85 each without tax and shipping. I'm concerned with the quality of those, though.
Plus, I don't really know how close they are to original. I bought Rancho springs back in the late 70's and they're AWFUL. They brought the jeep up way too high and changed the drive shaft angles, causing a vibration. Hate them!
I'm really leaning toward the "good checked used" but just want some feedback.
Thanks!

Offline Bruce_W

Re: OMIX ADA or decent Original springs?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 12:20:26 PM »
I would go with the used springs, if they do indeed check out good. Check them over yourself, donít rely on the sellerís word or opinion.
  I donít ever buy anything from Omix-ADA if thereís any other source at all.
BW
Until We Jeep Again...........

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 12:40:06 PM »
My cj-5 had heavy duty springs all around, something like 12 leaves each....I was going to just remove a leaf or two but found broken main leaves in two of the four packs, one front and one rear.

I then ordered a set, front and rear from Walck's.  They have "USA" stenciled on them, and the fit was great. I initially thought they were a little soft but nearly 10 years later I think they are perfect. My 55 cj-5 does not venture far and no hard four wheeling. Like you maybe a dirt road now and again. The ride is good.

When I ordered springs for the CJ-3a I ordered a package suspension kit from Kaiser-Willys. I was not that happy with the springs....They were from Crown. They are stiff and the jeep sits an inch or so high and after 7 years or so it still rides stiff....

So, that is my experience.

Used might be the way to go. Look them over good and replace the bushings.

Randy
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 02:12:55 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline shortrackskater

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 11:08:47 AM »
Thanks Randy!
Glad to hear that information. I posted basically the same question on the KW forum and got the same answer that it's better to stick with "good used" rather than deal with the Crowns, or of course Rancho like what I have on there. Heck I can probably remote those - clean them up, and re-sell them.
Thanks again. This definitely had helped me with the decision to get the "experienced" springs!  :)
mark

Offline Chuck W.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 02:18:43 PM »
I then ordered a set, front and rear from Walck's.  They have "USA" stenciled on them, and the fit was great.
I did the same with my first CJ3B and was also very happy with the fit and the ride. I have not had much luck with anything Crown.
The "good used" sounds like a deal at $50, I'd be willing to give them a try. You could always have your old springs re-arched and keep for spares.
1964 CJ3B
1952 M38 w/M100 trailer
1966 M274A2