The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: CJ3B Engine Vintage?  (Read 144 times)

Offline KincardineCJ3B

CJ3B Engine Vintage?
« on: February 14, 2021, 11:16:53 AM »
 I recently purchased a barn find 1958 CJ 3B  which was mostly in pieces and boxes but the engine was bolted to the drivetrain.   The Vin plate on the firewall  matches up with the frame stamp but the engine has no markings whatsoever on the flat area over the water pump where the serial number is normally located. I gave a light coating of paint and then sanded off to see if there is even a shadow of a number but no such luck
  The weird things about this engine is the normal automotive oil dipstick in place of a normal Willy’s fill tube, the crankcase vents out the rear of the exhaust side of the engine where the throttle linkage attaches and finally the clutch cover is circular like a CJ5
Would anyone have an idea what vintage this engine might be?  I will try to attach some pictures
Thx
Steve

Offline KincardineCJ3B

Re: CJ3B Engine Vintage?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 11:23:41 AM »
I messed up, here is the picture of the crankcase vent

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 12:50:40 PM »
KincardineCJ3B,
I'm going to go out on a limb here.

My initial impression is this F-head is not originally from a CJ.  The dipstick is unusual and the distributor has a vacuum advance on it.  I don't believe CJ-3B's had a vacuum advance.  Also, the draft tube is, from what I understand, replaced with the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system on the CJ-3B.

If I were to guess, I'd say this may be a truck or wagon engine - I just don't know for sure (I haven't been exposed to that many engines) but others may. 

I don't recognize the clutch.  It also looks like some repair work on the generator adjustment arm too.  I'd also like to wager that on the driver's side where that 90 degree fitting is should have a plug and under where the pump mounts is what I'm used to seeing for where the oil line attaches.

For me, finding the serial number (located on the front just above where the water pump attaches) would be the first place I'd look and then compare that number with the engine numbers on the 3B Page.

That engine may work (not sure about the clutch) just fine as a 3B engine.  Do you knnow more about it?
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline PercyUK

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 04:09:21 PM »
Hi, I did a quick Internet search with your engine block number and it threw up quite a lot of hits. I'm sure one of the guys will recognise it but If you struggle with the answer it may help in some way.

Offline Bruce_W

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 09:47:37 PM »
  I just recently pulled a similar F-Head out of a '48 CJ2-A. It had a similar dipstick and a similar distributor, and a road-draft tube that was on the front of the valve chamber cover. It also had a strange front engine plate that Bubba had modified to make it work. I figured it probably came out of a wagon or truck. It doesn't really matter - change the dipstick to a tube, put a PCV system on it, change the distributor if you want to, and put it in & run it. Under the stuff we can see, it's still the same as every other F-Head 134.
BW
Until We Jeep Again...........

Offline PercyUK

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 05:46:24 AM »
The clutch looks like a cj5 or m38 aswell?

Offline oldtime

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 09:42:00 AM »
Yes an early vintage PU or SW engine.
They always used the IAT vacuum advance distributors and road draft tube ventilation.
This engine will have cast iron rocker pillars in lieu of later aluminum pillars.
The clutch appears to be an actual 9-1/4” Borg Beck or at least a copy of the Borg Beck three fingers design.
These clutches can be extreme heavy duty depending on how many coil springs were pushing against the pressure plate. 3 or 6 ?

Offline KincardineCJ3B

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 10:12:43 AM »
 Thanks for all of your help guys, I really appreciate it
      You were able to confirm what I originally thought as to the engine pedigree